31 December 2014

2015

Only this I know


This I must admit: how one becomes two
is something I haven't understood at all.
How anything ever happens or one becomes what one is,
how anything stays in a certain way, what we mean
by words like body, soul, mind: I don't fathom,
but I shall always observe the universe
quietly, without words.

How can I
even for an instant understand the beginning, the end,
the meaning, the theory - of something outside of which
I can never go? Only this I know -
that this thing is beautiful, great, terrifying,
various, unknowable, my mind's ravisher.

This I know, that knowing nothing, unawares,
the current of the cosmos's awareness flows towards you.

~Rabindranath Tagore

3 comments:

Fire Bird said...

Wow! That is beautiful. Happy new year Sabine.

Anonymous said...

Love reading this. It's been a very long time since I read anything by Rabindranath Tagore. Thank you for reminding me.

Rouchswalwe said...

Sabine! Thank you for introducing me to Tagore. Thinking of you on Silvester! Prost!