14 July 2011

after the first hour

The dusty path endlessly ahead of me, deep forest to one side, the lake sparkling down a deep slope to the other. The sun is hot and there is a high wind but I don't mind. From time to time I break through a dense cloud of minute flies, sneezing and keeping my mouth shut, blinking to clear the eyes. 
On and on I follow the rhythm of my legs pushing the pedals, the wheels crunching along the dry track. I am humming my breath tune, my cycling mantra.
Around another bend, the track goes on and on and look, here I come and I am moving along, I am flying. I am laughing. My tears run backwards into my ears. I punch my fist in the air and shout to R, this is the life, look at me!

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Can feel your excitement and joy here! So lovely. My eyes tear, too, when I bike. It's exhilarating! Keep on trekking... :)

Dale said...

:-)

Grand!

Rouchswalwe said...

Banzai!