09 May 2012

Today I was politely approached by two blond, sturdy young men dressed in ill fitting suits. In an odd mix of German and American English they expressed their intentions to show me the right way to heaven or something like that. They were eager, no doubt. And they were very happy when they realised that I understand their language. That is, I understood the words they were saying, but for the meaning?
It appears that their mission is to bring religion to the heathen people of central Europe. The name plates on their lapels identified them as members of the church of latter day saints.
This happened only a few steps away from the city's cathedral, built in the 11th century.
But surely that church is Catholic, they pointed out. 
Well, how about a trip to Wittenberg to see the church where in 1517 Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses on the door? I suggested.
Uhm, isn't that in the communist part of Germany? We cannot go there.

Well.
I wished them luck.

2 comments:

beth coyote said...

O LDS! They're everywhere, much as the Jehovah's Witnesses are in my hood. It's their mission to 'save' us all and make more 'Saints' for heaven, their heaven.

My heaven is my garden right now, all being born and dying. Sun, fading flowers, new ones about to bloom, weeds, rot, the sound of the chickens in their coop.

Right here, right now.

Dale said...

Oh my goodness! That's very bizarre.