15 June 2012

I am handed a clipboard and a pen and with one of those very professional smiles I am asked to take a seat and write down any new and prominent symptoms I experienced since my last visit.

And so I start to write

about 
the heavy stone that sits in my chest some mornings
the lonely silence of a sleepless night 
the fear of never seeing my child again, of not growing old and wise together with my man
those sluggish mornings when it seems too much of a task to even get up
that futile anger with myself for being so slow 
my frustrating limits of energy
the way I am moved to tears,  suddenly and without warning, by a song, an image, a smile  
the feeling of loss that overtakes me at times
and how I worry about becoming needy, whinging and even more preoccupied with illness
and that things will get worse


And then I take the sheet off the clipboard and carefully fold it into a tiny square and slip it in the back pocket of my jeans. I get up and with my best professional smile I hand over the clipboard and step into the doctor's office.


3 comments:

Rouchswalwe said...

Oh vey.

Ellena said...

'Walking on Earth'.

Jayne said...

Those damn clip boards.