23 June 2012

Sometimes I have glimpses of the woman I used to be. I usually avoid this. But I have gotten better. Not much, just that little bit. Because, you see, it gets all mixed up. The woman I used to be and the woman I always wanted to be and the woman I always thought I would become with age. There are a few coordinates, real things that have not become blown out of proportion by my memory or my self pity. These forces that have pushed and pulled me along my tracks: energy and curiosity. How easy it has been.

Last week I watched an old video from 1988. There we were, the sunshine people, laughing and running on the beach just before sunset. It's somewhere in my bones, deep down in my cellular memory, that effortless feeling of being healthy. How much I want to believe that.


5 comments:

Jayne said...

The sunshine people. You are still there. On the beach. Believe. *hugs*

am said...

Yes. Energy and curiosity. We all need that. Scenes at the ocean remain in my memory and sometimes come back to me in my dreams. Yes. It is in our cellular memories. It is true and can be trusted.

The Solitary Walker said...

Beautifully and honestly written, as always.

Ellena said...

I am so fortunate and so pleased that the woman you are today came into my (blog)life?

Sabine said...

You are all so very kind, I feel most fortunate. Thank you.