25 July 2014

How many times did we watch our daughter walk through those gates, often holding the hand of a smiling female airline rep, waving back excitedly, ready to meet granddad at the other end. Other times, trying to catch a last look of her somewhere in a group of friends and sometimes, just her back slowly walking away, not turning because she is crying. 
I don't sleep when she is in the air, never have. And I know we will watch her walking through those gates again and again.
So much of our happiness and sanity as a family, as parents, depends on travelling, flying across vast continents, crossing time zones, feeling safe inside a pod made of aluminium and fairy dust.
I don't dare imagine the grief and the anger. I know it could be ours.


2 comments:

mm said...

(o)

37paddington said...

I know what you mean. this haunts me too.