10 February 2016

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.
 
Albert Camus 

Today I remember that I always wanted to live by the sea and that when I eventually did, I failed to appreciate it as much as I should have. What was I thinking? Of course, I didn't think at all because I was young and life seemed endless and the Dun Laoghaire pier or Killiney beach on a rainy day? 
Not even the dogs liked it.
But, oh how I wish for the comfort of an open endless horizon by my side.

Meanwhile, R is saving another stack of ancient (25 yrs old) negatives from certain death and when I occasionally look over his shoulder, I get these little stabs of memory and delight. Yes, I was there, for a while, we lived in paradise, this is me crashing through the waves. It was as perfect as it looks.
And no, this is neither the Dun Laoghaire pier nor Killiney beach, this is a place called Anse Lazio.


8 comments:

Colette said...

Beautiful moment.

Ms. Moon said...

Oh Sabine! Stunning!

Anonymous said...

Love this image. I had to google Anse Lazio to see where you were playing in these waves. Wow. Stunning.

am said...

Yep. There is something about the edge of the ocean and the horizon that has a sustaining power. Something in play, too. I've been visiting two ocean webcams in Northern California on a daily basis, thinking of you, sending love.

JO said...

Oh there's something about the sea ... And I'm commenting from Puerto Lopez, I'm Ecuador, and listening to Pacific waves roll in as I write!

Steve Reed said...

I went to Anse Lazio, too! It IS an amazing place. I guess living by the sea is like living anywhere -- most of your time is spent in the mechanics of living, with relatively little opportunity to appreciate the surroundings!

Steve Reed said...

Hi Sabine -- just a private comment for you. We HAVE been watching Deutschland 83 and we like it a lot -- it's on every Sunday here and we're coming to the concluding episode next week! You mentioned Happy Valley before and I haven't tried it yet -- we'll check it out.

nan said...

One of my favorite quotes of all time and beautiful photo and thoughts.