12 August 2017

Three years ago, I crossed the 5-year survival threshold reserved for 75% of people with my diagnosis. It meant nothing. Life ahead of me seemed endless.
(Still does.)
This summer, I have reached the half-way mark of the latest, statistically confirmed life expectancy. Do I care?
(Yes.)


It has been raining most of the week or maybe only for the last two days, I lose track. Most evenings, we manage to fit in a short cycle along the river in between downpours, watching the fog rise from the small valleys on the other side. The fact that I have enough energy for cycling makes me so giddy, I forget to take pictures. Next time, I tell myself, there will be a next time. And one after that and many more and so on.



11 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

None of us have any idea how many more but you have certainly been presented with many reasons to pay attention.
And you remind us to pay attention too.

37paddington said...

Yes, take pictures. Cycling is a wonderful thing.

Hattie said...

Congratulations!
Even if the weather isn't always with you, you are so lucky to be able to enjoy the outdoors on your bike.
What I long to do is go on a hike, but I still don't have the stamina for that.

molly said...

It is very cheering to hear that you are having giddy spells!

Anonymous said...

I love that cycling makes you giddy! That's how I feel about a nice long walk at the marsh. Breathing in that fresh air by the water.

Colette said...

I'm thinking of you long and hard. I am also happy to hear that you are biking. It is such a joy.

Elizabeth said...

Yes! Many after thats!

joared said...

Hope you keep having more good cycling days. Wishing you all the best including beating the statistics.

liv said...

Oh, Sabine! I've missed you. I'm feeling better and am back to reading - and look at me, you are my first comment! Giddy riding sounds intoxicating too. Those legs will carry you a lots ways yet xo

Roderick Robinson said...

My brother, Sir Hugh, does long walks sometimes lasting weeks. I urged him to remember times when things went wrong, since these are easier to write about and more stimulating to read than passages of unalloyed beauty. He mentioned it's often difficult to think in terms of a camera when mini-disasters strike. I could see his point but I added one of my own. Cameras can only tell a stilted form of truth; with words (and a soupcon of imagination) the world becomes infinite. Too pompous?

Ajax said...

Yes! Many more miles. There's a chance some strides could be made in the treatment of auto-immune diseases in the near future, right? I mean, we can hope, yeah? Biking is a major milestone on my index too. So dry here, rain sounds amazing.