08 July 2018


We are in endless summer. We do not call this a heatwave in Germany. Obviously, ALL my childhood summers were like this and when some miserable relative from Ireland complains about having to sleep without the duvet, we snigger quietly.

The lawn is brown and patchy, I don't care. The magpies are picking large holes in it searching for mole crickets. A treat, it seems. The buddleia is full of butterflies drinking nectar. Before sunset, we selectively water the garden. Once the hosepipe ban will kick in, in maybe a week or so, it will be survival of the fittest.

I have recovered from my eighth (8th!) colonoscopy, bits of me are as good as new. I may print a T-shirt to show off this fact.

The world is full of horrors. While we are able to follow - almost live - the rescue of 14 young men from a flooded cave in Thailand with no efforts spared (and rightly so), close to 700 migrants drowned in the Mediterranean this week because some governments in the EU are now refusing rescue operations. No live coverage here. We can do trump, too.




7 comments:

Colette said...

What have we become, separating children from their parents in one place, allowing migrants to drown in another? It is as if we are devolving, becoming less than human. The world is full of horrors and I am horrified. There is nothing left to do but persevere and persist. The alternative is unthinkable. As Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr said so well "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."

Anonymous said...

Such a time we are living in. In my wildest dreams I would not have expected this. And yet, here we are. I love the Martin Luther King, Jr quote that Colette posted. I need to read that everyday. So glad to hear your colonoscopy good news! Stay well, my friend.

Joared said...

Reading your previous post I see they looked at you from both ends. Did they meet in the middle, somewhere in your stomach? Hope you came out with desired results. Colonoscopy prep not as unpleasant as when I had my first one years ago, but still not a favored activity.

We’re having high temps in teen 3 digits. Just staying inside with AC and drinking lots of water. That is a strange contrast, isn’t it — the boys in the cave being rescued and refugees being allowed to drown. Somethings wrong here.

ellen abbott said...

not quite high summer here...mid-July through August but it can remain hot through October. anyone with half an ounce of compassion is horrified at what is going on but really we humans are being what we have always been, we are horrified simply because we have had the good luck to live during a period of relative calm and peace and abundance. in truth, humans are nasty creatures. having no natural predator, we prey on ourselves.

Steve Reed said...

It's shocking that I've heard nothing about those migrant deaths. And it's not like I'm not reading the newspaper.

Ms. Moon said...

If we are not here to help one another and to provide succor when needed, then what is our purpose? To hoard more stuff? It would seem so in these days and times.
Well. Nothing I can do about that at the moment except to love my neighbor as myself and to consider every human a neighbor.
I am so glad that your colonoscopy came out well! And that it's over.

37paddington said...

The world is full of horrors, and yet in the midst of it the human spirit can still shine. This morning came the news that all the boys in the cave have been brought out alive. I found myself crying for much needed joy.