12 May 2019

The Lily of the Valley from the front garden.

It's still cold here, we turn the heating on and off again, sit in the sun between long rainy periods and basically wait for things to happen. Garden-wise. We just harvested the first radish today.
Most of the glory is still dormant, ready to burst. The spuds have just pushed up through the soil, the strawberries are little hard green marbles.
horse chestnut


This time of the year, the first weeks in May, is called the time of the Ice Saints, an ancient term, based on the irregular weather in early May when this part of the Northern hemisphere can have a cold spell with the odd frosty night. It's apparently coincidental but country lore is country lore and farmers' traditions go a long way here. Ice Saints because almost every day here is a feast day for a saint.  We've just had St. Mamertus, today was St. Pancratius, Monday to Wednesday are St. Servatius, St. Bonifacius and St. Sophie, or "the cold Sophie" - after that, no more frosty nights.


one lonely iris





Occasionally I panic a bit because things do not get  better and I am washed out
then I realise that I am not afraid of this illness anylonger and the rest is coping and not getting bored. I schlepp myself to work but the tiny voice inside my head keeps whispering retirement and sodd it. So I made an appointment with the pension consultant of my union. But don't tell!

The pink stripy clematis.
No idea what these yellow weirdoes are called, Any idea?

whatshallwecallit


asimina (pawpaw) tree blossom
woodruff everywhere this year

10 comments:

Colette said...

I miss lily of the valleys, they don't seem to grow down here and they seem so magical to me. That's true of so many flowers. And horse chestnuts! But we have others, and any bit of color is always appreciated. P.S. Retirement is the best.

Ms. Moon said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
I will keep your secret. I think that's tremendous!

Rouchswalwe said...

Woodruff! Berliner Weisse!!! Now I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried brewing radish ale?? (Probably a bad idea.)

ellen abbott said...

we are phasing out while you are phasing in. it looks lovely to me. and change is afoot in other ways!

Elizabeth said...

I say YES to the reti... (shhhhhhhhhh)

37paddington said...

the rest is coping and not getting bored. yes. this. thank you.

am said...

Your garden has become something I look forward to each spring. I loved trying to figure out what the yellow weirdos are through googling but to no avail. My former job as a medical transcriptionist involved extensive Google research. Although I don't miss being employed, I remember how satisfying the puzzle-solving aspect of my job was. In October, I will have been retired for 2 years. Now I wonder how I ever found time in the day to be employed. My life is just as full but in an entirely new way. My fear was that my social security check would not be enough to live on. What a revelation to find out how little money I need to have a rich life. What a revelation to realize that you are no longer afraid of your illness.

My life so far said...

Good for you, retirement wise, and lovely photos.

Anonymous said...

The garden looks beautiful already. Imagine what it will look like in a month! The weather has been crazy gray cold wet here too. We're hoping for some sunny respite soon. I miss it. I'm glad you're planning on retiring, and I won't tell anyone!

Secret Agent Woman said...

We're blogging similar things. But I think your May is more like our February.