10 November 2020

Hibernation would be an excellent idea.

Our little Meyer lemon tree as of this morning. We have been harvesting for weeks and still no end.



And here, for all the fans of bitter plants belonging to the genus Cichorium, is the buttery heart of catalogna puntarelle di Galatina deep inside its rocket-fennel-liquorice tasting leaves. It's a bit of a task to grow and we are mighty proud of our harvest.


There are the three positive aspects that carry me through these strange times. One, I am an old hand at this, living as a social recluse more or less for the last ten years. Two, for many years, we, that is R and me, have developed the fine art of close (grand-)parenting, despite the vast geographical distance between our dinner tables. And three, my father is a staunch defender of - what he calls - civilised conversation versus wimpish physical expressions of emotions. 

It helps. I am not at a loss, or at least not more than usually, when I think of my once weekly phone call with him, all properly civilised, while listening to a friend's tearful lament because she misses hugging her dad. And later, I mention this over whatsapp to my daughter, who nods her wise nod, while we cheer the grandchild jumping over sofa cushion mountains on the other side of the planet.

It's not ideal, but nothing is. 

In the evenings, I wrap myself in a blanket and listen to the latest science podcast on the pandemic, to the eager voices explaining vaccine studies and virus mutations and protein sequencing and viral loads and it all washes over me like a soothing lullaby. In the early days, way back in spring, I would take notes and read through the scripts and references, trying to squeeze understanding into (out of?) my mediocre scientific brain capacities. Now, I just feel reassured that there are people who will not give up, who love research for the sake of it. And sometimes, I imagine these scientists coming home to their families after a long day, maybe playing with their kids for a while before dinner.  

By now, admittedly, I just want us to make it through in one piece. There is one unconfirmed case in the care home where my father lives. The infection rate here is beginning to decrease ever so slightly now that we have completed our first week of the November semi lockdown, but it's too early and the number of Covid patients on the intensive care ward, two floor above my office, has tripled in as many weeks. Still manageable, but only just about.

"The pandemic is not an inevitable fate. We determine by our behavior whether the situation gets worse or better.

 . . . personal freedom cannot be achieved in isolation from society. In order for the freedom of all to be maintained, it is in turn necessary that people stand up for one another and take responsibility for one another. The better it works, the less intervention and regulation is required.

The pandemic has shown how relevant this principle is. The more I act responsibly as an individual of my own free will, the less reason I give the state to intervene in social life. The more thoughtless and selfish I act, the sooner the state has to restrict my freedom in order to effectively protect the community as well as the well-being of other people."


Christian Drosten

 

8 comments:

My life so far said...

That last bit is so true. So many people just seem hell bent on having their way, regardless of how it affects others, it tires me and I feel despair for human beings. I suppose it has always been so, some people think only of others, some people think only of themselves and some people think of others, as well as themselves. The middle road.

I do want to smack some people in the head though. Just wear the fucking mask you tosser!

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful to see how happy your Meyer lemon trees are looking! I have several in my backyard. I think Meyers originated here in southern California -- in someone's backyard. They are so beautiful and smell like perfume, don't they?

Steve Reed said...

Wow, your lemon tree is going gangbusters!

I feel a bit like you -- my personal and family circumstances are such that lockdown for me isn't so hard. My family already lives miles away and I don't go out much anyway. I miss getting on a plane and going to the states once or twice a year, though.

Colette said...

I have a Meyer Lemon tree outside that is suffering from my ignorance of Florida insects, and our reluctance to use anything but Neem oil to combat the little monsters. I am so impressed that you have such an amazing harvest on a potted tree! Oh, and I found this moving: "Now, I just feel reassured that there are people who will not give up, who love research for the sake of it. And sometimes, I imagine these scientists coming home to their families after a long day, maybe playing with their kids for a while before dinner."

ellen abbott said...

I don't know how it is in other countries but a great deal of Americans these days are are selfish to the core with no sense of social responsibility. they don't realize, or more likely, accept that freedom comes with responsibilities. and so we are spiraling out of control. I realize how lucky I am to live where I live with lots of space around me and the ability to be outside and keep busy. I would not understand any of those podcasts but it's enough to know that there are people out there doing what they can to find a way to control the virus.

meyer lemon trees are amazing and so prolific. a friend asked me if I wanted some once and I told her I'd take a few. she snuck two plastic grocery bags full into my car.

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a Meyer lemon tree. It's my favorite lemon for making batches of hummus. Yum!
The virus infection rate is getting ever higher here in the states. We're pretty safe here in our very low-populated counted. We don't socialize, so not a big transition. It's an interesting thing to see where the virus is spiking. I wish people would wake up, but I have to come to terms with the fact that more than 70 million people voted for Trump. I'm pretty sure they're all mask-free. Oy.

am said...

Thank you so much, Sabine. For everything here, especially what Christian Drosten said.

beth coyote said...

Some of my fellow citizens are idiots but it has all been said before. I'm now puzzling why so many voted for Trump. Especially white women. We haven't got as far as I would have hoped. Centuries of patriarchy is a lot to overcome.My daughter visits in a few weeks. we'll be wearing masks for a while.