05 January 2021

 

 

It's grey, grey, grey and cold. We are arguing. About the same handful of issues that usually come up from time to time and have been around for the last 40 years. I banged a couple of doors on my way to the bike shed and cycled for 15 fast and furious kilometers along the grey river just before it got dark. Back home, my fingers were so numb, I swear I could have snapped the tops off and the bits of my hair that had escaped the hood were frozen. 

There was tea waiting for me.

A week ago, my father was tested positive for the virus. When my brother messaged me, I was at work in my lonely office on campus, not a soul in the adjoining rooms, and for a second, I was afraid, I might die right here on the spot with no one to find me for hours, days. But only for a second, because I quickly realised once again that I am fully grown up, in fact, an adult for now well over 40 years and that he is a bully and a rude old man who walked out on my mother in the deepest night.

Anyway. He has no symptoms. He is 92 years old and lucky for him and us, one of the staff at his care home was able to replace the batteries of his TV remote control. So all is well. He is in isolation which means, meals are brought into his room and he does not need to roll himself to the dining area.

We set up a phone call rota but he immediately figured out that ruse - obviously - and told us to Get A Grip. Also, we cannot remember him ever being ill - apart from his collection of fractures after various falls in recent years and the odd upset stomach due to the wrong food/drink intake - no fever, running nose, cough, sore throat. Not him. He told me today that he certainly never missed a day at work, that sickness was for ninnies (like me).

I have been reading up on the virus mutation(s). As it stands, the vaccines will remain effective. And well, if you don't like the vaccine, try the disease.

We must slow the spread. Especially now as vaccines are rolled out. The more transmission, the more opportunities for the virus to roam and mutate and evading immunity.  And more mutations could mean less vaccine efficacy.

This article here explains it well.

We are in a new phase of the pandemic. Much will depend on how well and how rapidly the vaccinations take place, but also whether we as a society manage to act in solidarity  - masks, distancing, the whole taking care of each other shebang, and most likely, for months.

We have just been informed that the lock down has been extended until at least the end of January.

Take care. 

8 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I have a friend whose rather elderly father rolled a tractor over on himself and yes, he suffered injuries but recovered. I asked my friend how his dad was doing sometime after the accident and he said, "Well, now he's convinced he's immortal."
I thought you might appreciate that story.
Take care, dear Sabine.

Rouchswalwe said...

Prosit Neujahr, liebe Sabine! We're all waiting here for any information about the jab schedule. Mum's the word so far. It's all quite exasperating. My Mamma's 2nd husband used to tell her the same thing, that sickness is for weaklings. Then one day she'd had enough and told him that only meaniebugs never catch even a cold. My gentle-hearted mother could deliver a zinger when it suited her.

am said...

Thank you on so many levels for all this post carries so well. Against all odds. Grateful to have a home to be at. Grateful for kindness and honesty.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about this post since I read it yesterday, trying to find the words to write here. I loved reading Ms Moon's comment, I wish I had a story that fit the moment. I send my heartfelt commiseration across the miles to you.

ellen abbott said...

well, your father is an ass. so was mine before his stroke. after his first stroke he gentled some. the second one killed him. if I know one thing, it's that you are not a ninny, or weak.

37paddington said...

I'm glad he has no symptoms. Lucky him. Easier for you, too.

Roderick Robinson said...

There's a sentence in there that can only be described as sardonic. My unfetterred admiration.

beth coyote said...

Oh boy. My dear daughter is living in LA county where 1 in 5 people are testing positive. I know she takes care of herself but I worry. I love the picture of you with frozen hair. when I used to wait for the school bus, my hair would freeze to my cheeks.