14 May 2021

 We are at the end of the tulip season and just before the roses, with lilac everywhere. This is what I picked yesterday walking through the garden, one blossom each, excluding anything that will become a fruit and flowers on trees, because: too high.



Cannot remember where I read this, but this week has served as an example that any idiot can weather a crisis, it’s the day-to-day living that wears you out.  

I could list now that this week, I washed the windows, baked bread (of the no-knead variety) twice and apple crumble once,  roasted miso glazed aubergines, cooked asparagus risotto, made jam with the last frozen strawberries from last year, finished the latest knitting project (and now I am at a bit of a loss), cycled 64 km in total, read two novels*, ate the first juice apricots from France, went to the physiotherapist twice to unclench my aching joints, drank gallons of tea and spent 25 hours being gainfully employed.

Worn out doesn't quite cover it. But still:


*We run the tides, by Vendeal Vida and My phantoms, by Gwendoline Riley

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am blown away by how much you've done this week. I was feeling overwhelmed because my twin brother and wife are visiting to celebrate our birthday (yesterday) and just cooking a few extra meals and talking all the time exhausted me. I'm going to have work on finding more energy. Thank you for the inspiration. Glad all is well there, Sabine.

am said...

"... Stay until your love is, love is, Alive and Kicking ..."

Those flowers. Beautiful palette of colors. Maybe I will read We Run the Tides. It takes place where my father worked and just north of where I grew up. Earlier today I bought a copy of Infinite City: A San Francisco Atlas, by Rebecca Solnit, having been born in San Francisco and lived the first 23 years of my life nearby.

Yep. Day-to-day living. Sending love.

Allison said...

You've made a lovely picture of the flowers you picked. It's good that you can get out and ride. We're having to get up earlier and earlier. It hit 100F (37.7C) yesterday. Anything in the out doors, is done very early.

My life so far said...

Sounds like you had a productive and tiring week. I was tired at work when I went for lunch today so I bought a coke and I've been busy since I got home. Laundry is done and all the bathrooms are clean. Now I wait for the caffeine to wear off:)

I'll have to take a look at those books. Thanks for the recomendations.

37paddington said...

You've had such a productive week! You make me feel positively slothful. That's a beautiful still life of the flowers you picked. Thank you for it.

ellen abbott said...

a very busy week. feels good to get so much accomplished, for me at least. all my accomplishments the last week or two have been outside. and I love the flower montage. loved it when you did it last time too. was that for fall or spring? must have been spring. already a year.

molly said...

Lovely colours, lovely flowers! And that's a busy week. If you have time to spare after all that, my windows could do with a good scrub! Welcome garden and summertime.

Steve Reed said...

That is quite a week! As usual, I recognize many of your garden flowers. :)