25 July 2021

Today the grandchild, freshly bathed and ready for sleep, and I, freshly showered and ready for breakfast coffeee, looked through the many photographs around the house and on my desk, photographs of all of us, the way we often do  - thank you social media - and as always, I ask, who is that, who are these people and this time the grandchild said: they are all mine people. 
 
Then R drove me to the on-call Sunday GP where I was told that yes, you do have an infection and we picked up the antibiotics. It is such a relief to have something plain and obvious like UTI for a change. Back home I ate a large slice of R's birthday cake, the 41st one I made him, this year it's mainly ricotta and strawberries and cream and now I am actively bed resting.

12 comments:

am said...

"They are all mine people."

A joy to spend time with the grandchild.

Happy Birthday to R.

Thank goodness for antibiotics.

Thank goodness for Mary Oliver and John Martyn, poetry and music.

Sending love.

Ms. Moon said...

Get better soon. Enjoy time with thine people.

Anonymous said...

Love this poem so much and the music and your grandchild's sweet words.
Happy birthday to R.
Hurray for antibiotics. When we need them they really do work! Take care there, Sabine.

Pixie said...

How wonderful to be able to stay in touch with your grandchild, to share moments and photos, over social media.

I would love to have met Mary Oliver and had tea with her. I would have been tongue tied but it would have been amazing to listen to her. A wise woman.

Hope the UTI clears up quickly. Sending hugs and love.

ellen abbott said...

that is a great poem and so true. worrying solves nothing. sorry to hear you have a UTI but yes something easily dealt with for a change.

Steve Reed said...

I love that poem. To me, it expresses the contrast between a young person's approach to life and and older one's. I used to worry a lot more than I do now. (Not that I am entirely worry-free!)

Colette said...

What a wise soul that grandchild of yours is. Indeed, they are all her people. Hope you feel better, soon. Sing!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the Mary Oliver and the wisdom of the wee!

Joared said...

Sounds like your granddaughter knows who are in those photos -- "mine people"!

beth coyote said...

thank you for this tender post. Needed it today.

Roderick Robinson said...

"Actively bed resting" otherwise known as "the beneficial conflict".

Wherein to experience "the parsable dream".

In fact my dicker doesn't include the adjectival form. Only the verb. Over the last decade I think I've used "parsable" at least half a dozen times. What should my punishment be?

37paddington said...

God, how I love that Mary Oliver poem. Your day with the little one sounds sweet, even with the need for antibiotics. I love how you see the silver lining of that, too.