19 December 2021

 

 

In all my life I have never lived far from a forest. Or at least not too far. And although I grew up with forests around me, learned much about life from forests, building dens, wading through forest streams, climbing trees, picking berries, watching dear, hares, frogs, collecting blue jay feathers, grass snake skins, empty birds eggs, snail shells, dead lizards . . . as a kid, I always dreamed of the open sea. Of wide horizons and rolling waves. 

And now in these strange times of pandemics and travel restrictions and my own physical limitations due to new symptoms, the forest has once again become a shelter and a place of wonder and discovery. The open sea is too far away. I rarely dream of it these days. Instead, I turn to the river, cycling the same 10 km stretch, day after day, pushing against the cold wind or being carried along by it, beside me the water flowing dark and fast, I follow fat barges and the birds keep me company, geese, ducks, gulls, cormorants, and all the while, the thick forest on the hills is watching over us below the enormity of the clouds. 




8 comments:

Colette said...

I felt I was there, biking alongside you for a moment.

Anonymous said...

I would love to bike ride along this river with you to feel that wind, see the birds and hills, and rejoice in the moment.

ellen abbott said...

The forest, your first and last refuge following the river. I too grew up is a heavily wooded area, this on the outskirts of Houston when it was just a small city, not the behemoth it has become. The bayou was a 4 minute walk away, the small neighborhood of 1 acre+ lots surrounded by piney woods. There were no kids my age, the older ones uninterested in me, the younger ones I was uninterested in so I spent a lot of time alone in the woods. And then I spent a decade on rivers. I do miss that, climbing into my canoe, pushing off from the bank and feeling the exhilaration of the current catching my boat and pulling me downstream.

am said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful photos of your river and evocative writing about the landscape that you are part of. This is heartening for me today.

Joared said...

So much comfort to be derived from the surrounding area you describe.

Ms. Moon said...

And every day I am sure the ride and the forest are different.

37paddington said...

The river is your sea. It is all of a piece anyway. I love that you ride beside it and have the forest to explore.

Pixie said...

I find any body of water to be helpful, even better if it's surrounded by trees.