24 April 2022

tell them the truth?

Time flies. Magnolia flowering season is over and done with for the year, we are halfway through lilac season and wisteria season is just about to go into full swing. Also, asparagus and strawberries season.

tulips and flowering blueberries
woodruff spreading under the pear trees


What has been on my mind most of last night and this morning was the discussion I had with a friend on how to speak with children about climate change. It wasn't a discussion as such, we spoke past each other and in the end, we were really upset about it. 

Her children are small, mine is grown up. She wants them to live blissfully unaware for as long as possible. I argue to tell the truth, always, at least when asked. In our case, I don't remember when the issue first came, if it ever came up, from us, the parents or from school or the news. No idea. But I know that my child knew, was well aware of what we knew, guessed, hoped and despaired about. What I do remember is R insisting to teach her about the four wheres: where does the water that runs out of the taps come from, where does the water go to when we are done with it, where does the energy come from that provides us with electricity and heat and where is our waste ending up. He has been asking these questions in all the places we have lived, asked every class he has ever taught and keeps on asking.

This has always been the start of further activities, often her own initiatives and ideas. After all, he is a science teacher, even when a father. She did get fed up with her dad along the way, obviously, but now she is teaching her own child.

Anyway, this is why we had the discussion: 

Largest scientific study of its kind finds climate anxiety affects the daily life and functioning of nearly half of children and young people surveyed globally.

The inaugural study, based on surveys with 10,000 children and young people (16-25) across 10 countries, found 75% of young respondents believe ‘the future is frightening’ - jumping to 81% of youth surveyed in Portugal and 92% in the Philippines. It found, for the first time, that climate distress and anxiety is significantly related to perceived government inaction and associated feelings of betrayal. 58% of children and young people surveyed said governments were “betraying me and/or future generations,” while 64% said their governments are not doing enough to avoid a climate catastrophe.

The full study can be read here. A short communication is here.

This is on us. This is the mess we created. And now we sit back and say it's too late, sorry?

Ok, I am getting carried away as usual. 

 

And They All Lived Happily

All bad guys died in the end. 
My kiss did make bruises better. 
It was right to put lost teeth under a pillow 
and that time, when you didn’t find money, 
there really was a tooth-fairy holiday. 

I told the truth about castor oil 
as you have grown big and strong. 
Broccoli, porridge, the last bit on your plate,  
have been the making of you. 
I really believed your Granny would get better. 
I didn’t think your eyes would possibly stick 
that way, but it seemed the thing to say. 
That report card wasn’t worth all my giving out, 
I knew your teacher had a pick against you 
but how to admit that to a ten-year-old?  

We weren’t made of money. I did need a break. 
Our dog did go to live on a farm, for a while.  
When I said I’ll think about itI did. 
You do know I was I right about that girl. 
Honestly, most of the time, I told you the truth. 

 

 


9 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes, the climate crisis is real, and my friends converse about it over lunch often. There are many unfair things happening also. I don't blame any one entity however. It's an accumulation of the way we have been living for many generations...I think. But it does make me sad.

Pixie said...

I love that poem, it's beautiful.

I think we have a responsibility to tell children the truth, based on their age. I struggle with how much to tell Jack about his mom and dad. Time and his questions will dictate, I'm guessing. Shielding children from the truth doesn't work in the long run and they feel betrayed.

Ms. Moon said...

I think that Pixie's last line is completely correct.

Steve Reed said...

Yes, I agree with Pixie's comment too. It's best to be frank with kids while not being alarmist and maintaining a realistic degree of hopefulness. I remember Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes" expressing anxiety about climate change 30 years ago!

NewRobin13 said...

I think about this so often with the grandkids and wondering what they know of the times they're living in and if they worry about the future. The oldest is 10 and probably a bit young for the discussion. But I sense that she knows already, and we will always tell the truth when we are asked.

am said...

It brings happiness for me to see the garden that you and R enjoy. Your photos are splendid.

I don't think there is such a thing as "blissfully unaware," although your friend clearly does believe in that concept. Small children are much more aware than they are given credit. Parents who can tell the truth in an age-appropriate way to their children create an atmosphere of trust that does something to counteract how difficult the truths are. I don't have children but I have been a child from whom truths were withheld, with far-reaching consequences.

37paddington said...

The four wheres--what an elegant frame. Thank you.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Mine are grown, too, and my older son was talking to me the other day about the planet is dying. I feel awful that this is what we've left them.

ellen abbott said...

The kids are right. We did cause this and our governments are betraying them. And the future is scary. We are well on the road to making the planet uninhabitable for humans.