19 August 2022

I am done in. For the first time in two years I worked a full week at the campus, no home office. And because it has been - and still is - so hot, I started real early every day. The work was not different but there's the commute, 40 minutes each way. I managed to cycle most days, trying to dodge the heat by going the long way through the forest and racing through the bits of heavy traffic. 

The best part? Giving the finger to car drivers who act as if they own public streets, as if cars are somehow above cyclists in some imagined transport mode hierarchy, that is still a wonderfully liberating gesture. And cursing at the top of my voice, oh how I've missed doing that!

It was only for a week, subbing for a colleague in dire straits.

As much as I love watching this video, I cannot stop wondering how many people came away infected. Because whatever the current mood, the virus doesn’t “spread”. We spread it. We cough, sneeze, sing, shout and breathe it on each other. Without people, this virus would not have a chance.

 
 
My father recovered from his second covid infection (brought to him thanks to the lifting of mask and testing requirements for visitors to care homes in the federal state of Bavaria) which was just as mild as his pre-vaccine one but this one has left him confused, disoriented, often unable to speak and he is rapidly losing weight.

8 comments:

Colette said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he starts getting better soon. I love the image in my mind of you biking and swearing and flipping off the aggressive cars. Life is good.

NewRobin13 said...

I hope your father recovers and regains his cognitive function. That is sad news of the lingering effects.
I loved reading of your 40 minute bike ride and flipping off those thoughtless drivers. Yes! I'm glad you had a week back at work. Take care there, Sabine.

Pixie said...

I like the image of you giving cars the finger and swearing. Perhaps we are related:)

The music was lovely but I wonder how many people got infected too. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. My father in law now has covid as well, although it's mild so far. Illness is hard on the elderly, so often leading to delerium and a decline. Take care.

Ms. Moon said...

I am humbled by your biking into work and back. Those are full days.

ellen abbott said...

That was pretty amazing, all those voices. I'm not going to think about how many people were exposed. We can't just stop living and creating. What do your infectious disease experts say about those who have never had it (like me though I am vaxxed and boosted) and blood type. My neighbor not vaxxed, exposed several times, never had it, blood type O+. I'm A+. This may be it for your father. Even mild it can be heinous.

Steve Reed said...

In the states, you'd be taking your life in your hands giving a driver the finger. They might have a gun! Sorry about your dad -- my mom had the "flu" (supposedly not Covid, according to tests, but who knows) back in June and she also hasn't fully recovered.

am said...

The way I picture you best is on your bicycle. That's quite a ride to work and back! Good that you were able to take the long way through the forest. I remember some of your photos along that route.

Even "mild" COVID is too much for some. I'm sad to hear that your father has been affected in the way he has.

Joared said...

Sorry to read about your father. I really like this music video!