20 April 2023

 


I am bored, the usual boredom that comes with recovery from vertigo. Not yet able to do normal stuff, not quite confident enough to cycle to the library or along the river or anywhere, not keen on walking, not working. I cleaned the bathroom in stages and did some laundry, almost fell into the big basket of dirty towels.

Lots of memories come up at the early hours or late hours, about our wandering years when we stayed with various hippie/non-hippie communes in Ireland and the UK, the bizarre and the wonderful, the diggers and dreamers, the radicals and the feminists, looking for and at times finding a home for a while. Memories of mucking out stables and making apple cider, planting poly tunnel greenhouses, travelling musicians organising wild barn dances into the early hours, magic mushrooms and baking bread, always baking bread. At one place where we lived for almost a year, we baked a dozen loaves early every morning in the Aga stove. It was either milking the goats or kneading the dough at sunrise. Every night, twelve empty bread tins sat waiting on the stove and the starter dough was fermenting in the larder. 

Later when we lived in Dublin, in a ramshackle Georgian terrace house with gashing holes in the floorboards - at one point, you could look right through into the basement from the top floor - I baked sourdough bread and sold it to a wholefood shop run by a guy who later attempted to sexually assault me. He pushed a whiskey bottle into my mouth so hard I fell onto the floor and in the surprise of the moment, him struggling to get his precious bottle, I managed to get out the door and run. 

I never baked any bread after that. R took over. We moved away from Dublin. None of this was due to the assault. 

In our new home, we had a baby, lived in a ramshackle Georgian mansion with a gashing hole in the floor of the one bathroom shared by mostly eight, sometimes more people. R baked six loaves, all that the oven could hold, every second day. The smell scent of freshly baked bread would bring whoever was home into the kitchen and one loaf would be cut, butter melting, honey dripping and eaten up on the spot.

The bathroom in that house was a narrow space on the first floor landing of the beautiful, imposing, massive staircase, separated by plaster boards with a tank and an immersion heater that used so much electricity it occasionally blew all the fuses. At the weekly housing meetings, we debated for ages  whether we should install a shower with an instant water heater and how to finance it and who and when can take how many showers and oh yes, housing meetings. I still get the shivers thinking of it. We did install the shower, our hair started to look good again.

Anyway, bread. I stopped baking because I had a baby and once the baby was weaned, I went to work. When my baby was beginning to speak, her name for me was "back soon".  She had a wonderful childhood in that ramshackle mansion with its walled garden and orchard and lots of shoulders and laps and arms for comfort. She has very little memory of these years.

One of the entries in my notebook-of-ideas-for-retirement is baking bread. I have already glued a clear plastic protective cover on our disheveled copy of the Tassajara Bread Book, I am ready.



15 comments:

Pixie said...

You've led an interesting life and I'm slightly envious:)
Isn't it a sad statement that so many women have stories of sexual assaults? It says a lot about the world we live in.
Baking bread is contemplative for me. So many recipes today use machines for the kneading and I wonder why you wouldn't want to knead your dough by hand.
I'm back to work and my feet are fine but now it's my knee that is so painful. My body is telling me it's time to retire, now I just have to convince my bank account:)

ellen abbott said...

it sounds wonderful, the wandering years. so many people did that sort of thing in the 60s and 70s. not me. I was squarely under the thumb of my father, three different colleges in three years until I just quit ready to get on with life but I didn't escape until I got married to the rat bastard who wouldn't work and fucked every woman who would stay still long enough. three and a half years was enough of that and I got a divorce. oh, we did some things, took a three month road trip around the country one summer, among other things. if I have any regrets it's that I never wandered, never lived on a commune. and I have never ever baked a loaf of bread, much less a dozen.

Colette said...

I remember the Tassajara bread book.

Ms. Moon said...

I have a copy of the Tassajara Bread Book.
I never lived with a whole other group of people. A few, maybe. House-sharing. I always wanted my own space. Where I can bake bread.

Roderick Robinson said...

In fact you found what seemed like the perfect cure for boredom - writing about it. Except that, one can quickly get bored writing about boredom; the mind strays; often to subjects that are less boring. You're kneading dough and fighting off an importunate Dubliner.Voila! as the French say.

That gurgling sound? Boredom going down the plughole.

jozien said...

Boredom brought you lots of wonderful memories it seems. Boredom a beautiful gift when i learned to embrace it.

NewRobin13 said...

I loved reading these memories, Sabine, and being reminded of the commune hippie bread-baking days. It's the path my sibs and I took in the 1970s. I have a new copy of the Tassajara bread book and have baked a few loaves, but nothing like those early days. I hope you are starting to feel better.

Steve Reed said...

When I was studying Zen in New York City I had some friends who moved to Tassajara. Funny to see the bread book in your blog post! When I was young I had all kinds of fantasies about moving to a commune and living off the land, but to be honest I think I liked my comfortable life a little too much.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had done some wandering before getting married but the Vietnam war was in full swing and one never knew what tomorrow had in store. I always knew how to make soda bread but eventually learned how to work with yeast. Many years ago I bought a bread machine, but found I preferred kneading the dough myself, especially if I was in a temper over something or other which wasn't a rare occurrence...But now, I have discovered the best bread ever - Mark Bittman/Jim Lahey's no-knead bread. I can mix it up in the evening while boiling the kettle for a cup of tea, cover it and leave it on the counter overnight, punch it down in the morning, shape the loaf and let it rise another couple of hours then pop it into a covered pot in the oven and it is unfailingly delicious!

molly said...

That's me, Molly. Having Google issues again. Sigh. On a cheerful note - those dirty towels would provide a softer landing than other places one could fall....

Sabine said...

I guessed it was you from the second sentence of your comment onwards, soda bread was the give-away.

Roderick Robinson said...

I'm interested in your second thoughts about "smell". The presumption that it may be mistaken for something unpleasant; replacing it with "scent" which brings unwanted associations with perfume.

I have faced this problem when writing fiction. It is an arguable generality that women smell better than men but it's a tough idea to wrestle with. Best avoid it but what the hell, the alternative may turn out to be banal. Then no one ever said writing prose fiction was going to be easy

The problem (at least for non-francophones) crops up in a French Christmas carol: Quelle est cette odeur agréable?. I'm assuming I don't have to translate this for you. Often the problem doesn't lie with the word itself, rather the context. You won't be surprised despite my well-honed instincts for initiating conversation in France (since VR and I pay for the family holidays, that's where we go and this is the reason why) I have never been able to get into a French mind regarding the potential infelicities of this line. No doubt the approach should be made crabwise,

But perhaps I'm being trivial.

Sabine said...

There's only one way to explain why I used the word scent: Make six loaves of sourdough bread and take them out of their tins, freshly baked hot from the oven, and you will find out.

Roderick Robinson said...

I know. It wouldn't have been sourdough but my mother baked bread throughout WW2 and not necessarily by choice. "Bought-in" bread was said to be more expensive though, as a child at the time, I have no way of knowing whether this was a justifiable opinion. The smell/scent of my mother's just-baked bread definitely appealed to the olfactory sense.

Not that my memory is necessarily accurate. With the perversity sometimes typical of children I regarded "bought-in" bread as a luxury. You see, it eventually came sliced. This must seem a childish criterion but my unskilled hands never mastered the use of what we then called a "bread-saw". My wife, brought up in south-east England, regards this term as a northern perversion.

Britain has always lagged continental Europe in the range of bread it offers but things are changing. Sourdough is routinely available at my local Tesco along with other "exotic" (ie, foreign) styles. However, there is still no true equivalent of Schwarzbrot whatever it says on the wrapping.

Anonymous said...

37paddington: I wish I had wandered. Lived in communes. Woke to the smell of baking bread. Raised by civil servants who drummed practicality into me, make a living, find your true work and do it, it never occurred to me to wander the world. Now I wish I’d known that life. Regrets, what’s the point of them though. Lovely memories you’ve shared here today.