31 January 2024

Down the hall, R is talking to yet another plumber, builder, tiler or otherwise highly skilled person about our dream bathroom. I am hiding in my study with a heat pad on my bloated abdomen. I can hear laughter and snippets about moisture resistant tile replacement and retractable shower heads (I may have misheard here). R has done his research, stacks of catalogues sit on his desk, measurements transferred to 3-D software. We have nowhere near the money required and I have given up weeks ago. But he is persistent, in fact, downright dedicated (quite a fitting alliteration here). In the end, I just look at the figures of the latest cost estimate and do a quick calculation including our life expectancy, the energy required for cleaning the inevitable mess during renovations, the plans I have for spring and summer and shrug my shoulders, which is a kind of no but I think it only reinforces his determination. As long as we won't starve, has become our mantra here. I could add a handful of other ones, mostly involving costs of caring when we have to succumb to ill health in our very old age when we won't make it up the stairs to this fancy bathroom any longer, and sometimes I say these out loud, which is when he explains about the walk-in shower and the handrails. And in turn, I want to feel young and foolish and so I give another shrug, this time as a kind of yes.

Nothing is decided yet. There will be more visitors with cost estimates and I'll make coffee for each one of them while R does the talking.

Initially, this was my idea. A good 12 months ago. And while I was selling it to R, the long string was set in motion, of diagnostics and possible surgery and weight loss and more weight loss and not being able to eat properly and ah well. We are helpless in our boring waiting period here, so now, a mission in the shape of a bathroom.

I stop eating early afternoon because it takes so much energy to digest and as most days, this is painful, I want get the worst behind me by the time I go to bed.  During the night, if I cannot sleep or wake up, I can feel my intestine trying to get the job done and I can place my hand on the bloated, slowly shifting  lumps here and there. I jokingly told the gastrologist that it reminds me of the time when my unborn baby was kicking. He nodded, told me he has heard that description before. Anyway, guess what I have been dreaming about. I woke in a sweat. 

On Monday, I have what is called a dynamic MRI where my intestine will be examined in action. As I often say, I'll try everything once.

But what I really wanted to write about was why on earth do I blog in English when my native language is German.

When I met R, my English was limited, seriously limited. He politely claims that it was great but we both know better. As mentioned before, I was not a good student of modern languages in school and the only need for a basic knowledge of English was to pass the tests and to understand what the lyrics of my favorite pop and rock songs were all about. Mostly though, these remained mysterious riddles I could not figure out. Take "troubled water", I mean, what on earth? 

Within a year of meeting R, I found myself in his family's dining room after Sunday lunch asked to perform "Deliverance" without words - this particular version of charades, acting out film titles, is a family favourite. To this day, I could not tell you what deliverance means in German and I still have to watch that film. I failed but everybody chipped in and I did much better with "Casablanca".

It went on from there. English became my emotional language, obviously, but R's family was so different from my own, so loud and active and welcoming, not always pleasant, not always kind, but a challenge I was eager to accept. I have never looked back.

Now, after so many years, we are both bilingual and occasionally, try to switch to German, but we are too used to speaking to each other in English, we never last for more than a sentence.

For me, English and German are good for expressing different things. Everything that has to do with love I find better expressed in English. When my child was born, I sang mostly English lullabies to her. Everything that is intimate for me is in English. The only exception is translated poetry. That's a hopeless area. No way. Rilke cannot be read in English. I know that Brecht tried while in exile in the US but it's not for me.

Currently, R watches German tv shows downstairs while upstairs, I watch UK channels and netflix. We meet afterwards and report on the shape of things.

Yesterday, he watched some heavy duty thriller about corrupt Swiss bankers while I reported on Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson writing "We are the world" and how they kept on talking about starvation in Africa and how this song will turn life for the children of Africa around. We then had to shake our heads and lamented because, Africa, in case we forget, is a continent with close to 1,5 billion people, living in 54 countries, speaking close to 2000 different languages. The Ethiopian famine took place in Ethiopia, an East African country the size of France and Spain combined. The famine was a result of drought combined by wars between various anti- and pro-government factions. At the same time, many African economies were thriving and continue to do so, broadly speaking. But that's another story. Anyway, the song is stirring enough and I admit I have sung it many times, sometimes even together with others. However, the last choir I was in decided against it and opted for Something inside so strong (Labi Siffre) instead.


7 comments:

Pixie said...

My husband's parents came to Canada from Holland, after the war. One came as a child and one as an adult. My father in law, the adult, understood and spoke English but still had to ask his wife sometimes to translate into Dutch for him so that he could understand. At work there are people who speak Spanish, Cantonese, French and Punjabi, which is so helpful when dealing with patients from all over the world. I wish I knew another language, I know some ASL and can swear in a few languages:)
But I digress, I hope your MRI goes well. You must be so tired of the pain and bloating. Sending hugs.

Elizabeth said...

It's good to get caught up here, although I am so sorry for all of the suffering you are enduring. I ironically just got up off the couch to take a break from the We Are the World documentary, and it's good to watch it for the nostalgia (i.e. my late teens), but I am wondering what, exactly, it accomplished other than being an enormous masturbatory ego-fest for the stars? I guess I will have to finish it to find out, right?

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, to go back to the days when we were all so young and earnest and innocent and had no idea what an MRI was.
I HAVE always wondered why you blog in English and such perfect English at that. So now I know.

am said...

" ... Oh oh, something inside so strong
Oh oh, something inside so strong
Oh oh, something inside so strong.

I'll say it again. So grateful that you blog in English. Sending love to you and R.

Colette said...

Language is key to communication, yet the current estimate is 7,117 languages spoken in this world. I had a cousin who was a huge exponent of Esperanza, but he's long gone now. I had a Spanish professor who insisted (in a kind of Nikita Krushchev "We will bury you" way) that Spanish would eventually overtake English in the U.S. I don't know what to think about languages except that they are interesting on many levels, and that I'm selfishly so glad you write in English.

Roderick Robinson said...

Multilingualism fascinates me. It's far more than being fluent in another language. To do so one must absorb great chunks of that language's surrounding culture and that usually means living within that culture. To the point where one prefers to say, for instance, "Es ist mir einerlei." rather than "OK by me, either way." Simply because "einerlei" (the word) has a suggestive flexibility about it which seems to encompass the meaning of the sentence.

I envy you. I have been taking weekly French lessons since 1972 and can carry on conversations in France. Read French novels. I once ordered a set square in a DIY shop, not knowing the term but by describing the set square's function. What's more I can entertain French people in their own language (which does, of course, argue a predisposition to do so). But I'm a million miles away from being fluent. For nine years we owned a house in Loire Atlantique but we only lived there during holidays. Progress was snail-like

Ironically the biggest steps towards fluency occurred during a fortnight in the fifties I spent with a German family in Hattingen-Ruhr which I've already mentioned. The family had taken a vow of English-silence and there were times I hardly knew I was speaking German, and that ability based on a few skimpy school lessons per week among a mass of even less important subjects. Fact is I was much younger and my mind more flexible. By accident, my father, answering a letter from the school in my absence, was asked to decide on my behalf whether I should drop French or German. He chose German and thus the die was cast.

And now sing a I predominance of songs with German lyrics and am not entirely happy with the cantatory difficulties posed by the umlaut effect.

Steve Reed said...

Of course I remember "We Are the World" from college. It was a more naive time, wasn't it? I knew then that the famine wasn't affecting ALL of Africa but I'm not sure I appreciated the political causes -- which I doubt "We Are the World" was able to solve.

I hope the surgery sorts out this very uncomfortable-sounding problem.