03 March 2024

Sometimes I think I am reading far too much and all over the place. Newspapers, opinion pieces, social media commentary, all the blogs and that substack algorithm that comes up with another three tantalising suggestions every damn time I finish reading one post. Then, there's books, of course, real books and the notices from the library when a book I have reserved weeks ago is ready for pick up. But also, e-books and good grief, here we go: audio books and podcasts. At the end of the day, I struggle remember what it was I just read or listened to all day. It's all so brilliant and disgusting and enlightening and confusing and then again, trivial and just someone's string of consciousness.

I sit in the sun on the first warm spring day, I close my eyes and listen to birdsong, to the twin girls from across the gardens playing the lava game, to R hacking away with a machete deep in the overgrown corner at the bottom of the garden. The usual Sunday afternoon noise from a light airplane above, someone living their expensive dream.  Hey honey, I am off for a spin with the plane, or something like that. I had an uncle, a successful dentist in one of the better off cities on the river, who had suffered greatly during WWII and once told me that he promised himself a private little airplane should he survive. He did and got the plane and one day, maybe 25 years ago, I was in the kitchen mixing salad, listening to the news on the radio about a small airplane that had crashed, the single occupant dead and I knew immediately that it was him. I called my sister and told her and when she asked, what makes you think it's him, I said, it makes sense. And it was him.

On Tuesday, I am starting the next medical marathon, finally meeting one expert/week for three weeks to come and, as R tells me, then we should have a plan. He is fed up with cooking and eating alone.

My brother's last day at work was on Friday. Now all three of us are retired. It feels like we are standing in a small clearing in the forest of our childhood, Franconian pines on sandy soil, rows and rows of plantations from the 17th century, and we are looking around us, lost. Was that it? What happened?

Today, we cycled for a couple of hours along the river and back, crossing it twice. It was bedlam, tons of people, everybody got the message. Spring. Now. 

Note these spindly things. a yellow and a red peach tree and one apricot tree as proof.




 



7 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I'm doing basically the same thing here. I need to stop reading the news and other bits on social media, spend way too many hours that way and it's all the same. I've been trying to get through a book my twin granddaughters passed on to me. they've asked me what I think. I wonder if they think I'll be shocked by the frequent mentions and fantasies about sex. I'm almost halfway through and what I think is kinda boring, just a monologue so far, a woman recounting her life. anyway, spring here and I've been doing outdoor chores but no one to help me. the husband does not do physical labor.

37paddington said...

Was that it? What happened? God, I know the feeling, but am refusing to let it in the door. It stands outside, mocking me. I admire your river rides. That is living.

Pixie said...

I am envious of your springtime and green plants budding out. We have awhile to go yet. A blizzard passed through yesterday, but not a bad one, just cold, blowing winds and snow, not even a lot of snow. Today the sun is shining but it's still very cold. Sigh. Soon. Weeks instead of months.

I'm feeling meh today. Still have floors to wash and supper to make and then back to work tomorrow. The treadmill continues:)

Take care and I hope the medical marathon goes well.

am said...

Always enjoy seeing the seasons in your garden. In the last few days, I saw my first flowering tree of spring. Don't know what kind of tree it was. The flowers were white. Many more to come.

Ms. Moon said...

I am hoping that the experts can indeed help you. It is your time to go forth into this next phase of your life!

Steve Reed said...

I feel the same way about reading. I love it but it can be overwhelming, and I seem to remember so little of it, except in the vaguest sense, that I wonder why I bother! (I suspect more of it is retained than I realize. I hope so, anyway.)

Here's hoping those experts come through.

My brother and I were talking about retirement just last night. We're both just a smidge too young, but it won't be long now!

Roderick Robinson said...

"Would Thursday the 21st be OK for the six-monthly telephone check-up?" asks a voice from the Colorectal Support Unit. Hey, I've been retired for 28 years; in many ways the state of retirement seems more natural than editing the magazine. Tell the truth I'm available at any time of the day and night except for 08.30 to 10.00 on Mondays when the Skype bell rings on my PC, V's face appears and I'm asked what progress I've made without her supervision for the rest of the previous week. And singing lessons, too, are now woven into the routines of retirement since that apocalyptic day - January 4 2016 - when I was handed a score of an aria from Mozart's opera, Die Zauberflöte, and asked to follow V's soaring soprano voice singing the aria an octave up.

I, who knew nothing of musical notation even though I'd seen the opera several times, stumbled along, singing a correct note here and there. Then had another go. And then another. V saying something encouraging. A fourth go, never finished, since the enormity of what I was doing bored in on me and I turned away from V and her piano, crying my eyes out at at what I realised would be an enormity. That very late in life (I was 80) I would enter the world of music as opposed to being merely its spectator.

How could I be convinced this would happen? Due to an inner force more powerful than mere verbal rationalisation. And thus, here I am at 88, and ahead of me is a week in which I will discuss the probabilities of two forms of cancer within my body and subscribe to V's master plan for linking together all twenty songs of Schubert's Schöne Müllerin cycle. Cheek by jowl, the imminence of death and further progress in an art form which both of us know can work an inner magic.

How well do I sing? Well enough. More important is: I progress. To the point where reading, a much earlier enthusiasm, has had to take a back seat. I'm well aware of what you have suffered; reading must be, will be, a support. Especially reading that tests you. My best wishes that you continue to achieve a balance between these two phenomena.