26 June 2024

apricot days

It's that time of a summer when the lime trees (linden to some) are in flower sharing their intense fragrance, especially at night when we open up the house after a hot day. This suburb is lime tree suburb with street after street lined by old tall trees. There's no point washing cars or windows are whatever until they are done. It is spectacular despite the fact that at times, the intesity of the fragrance borders on cat's piss.

When my daughter was a moody teenager, we went for a couple of days to Paris since we guessed - rightly so - that our days of family outings were numbered. There was some parental apprehension due to her teenage mood swings and her unwillingness to even look at a guide book or show the slightest interest in what Paris may have to offer. As it happened, her parents had a massive argument the morning of our departure which resulted in this grown up teenager sitting between two sulking adults who refused to speak to each other. Things improved dramatically after we arrived thanks to the thousands of Paris's lime trees in flower and we had some very fine days of which we speak fondly to this day. 

Meanwhile, I visited a street music festival, the open air opera festival and the long night of the museums, not all on the same day, and was completely washed out for three or ten days. Well worth it though. 

And I've gone and had the second or maybe fourth opinion from another team of experts. This one doesn't want to go for surgery - yet - and anyway, would not be able to promise any marked improvement as a result. So it's more of the same, with variations, a sprinkling of this and that and No More Weight Loss. I am still relieved about the no surgery bit.  As it stands, you just have to accommodate each new bit of knowledge, each new limitation, each new experience, each new fear that comes your way. Even if you die a little. What else is there. Porridge, a small handful of freshly picked berries, yoghurt and if you are the fool I am, too many juicy, ripe Spanish apricots resulting in a sleepless night.

These three things have come my way.

A poem.

 Hello to you all, how do you live?

Rabbit :
We live in small groups, have no fixed partnerships.
Build widely branching tunnel systems,
in which our young are born, naked and blind.
We still reproduce when imprisoned.

Hare :
I live solitary. Sleep in a shallow hollow.
My offspring are born with fur and open eyes.
I have never been domesticated.

Humans :
We don’t quite know.
Until we have found out, we wage wars.


Lin May Saeed

According to her website, Saeed believed we humans had a lot to learn from animals, and her favourite daydream was imagining aliens and animals coming together to meet humans to give them a masterclass called ‘How Not To Mess It Up’.

A bit of music.


And a short film. (More info about it, click here.)

6 comments:

Pixie said...

It's so hard when you can't change the outcome, just have to accept that which is given to us. I'm not good at that. I complain, a lot. I suffer out loud:)

am said...

"Even if you die a little. What else is there. Porridge, a small handful of freshly picked berries, yoghurt and if you are the fool I am, too many juicy, ripe Spanish apricots resulting in a sleepless night."

You've reminded me of the apricot tree in my family's backyard when we lived in the San Joaquin Valley when I was 5, 6, and 7 years old. I remember climbing in the apricot tree on a hot day. I remember the rich sweet flavor of the apricots.

Thank you always for sharing the things that have come your way, leading me in good directions as I am still awake in the middle of the night after several days of concern over the health of my cat, Harpo.

Wondering about Lin Mae Saeed, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDJBg_jOgWk

Listened to Mary Lattimore, I felt gratitude.


Watched The Intersection and with a little Googling found that Nicole Allred, one of those who commissioned The Intersection, also founded Black To The Outdoors in the county where I live. It appears that she lives or has lived in my small town.

https://omidyar.com/omidyar_team/nicole-allred/

https://www.nicoleallred.com/black-to-the-outdoors

What a relief to know to learn that there will be no surgery.

"Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to."



Ms. Moon said...

Humans have the curse/blessing of being able to think too much. This of course results in poetry and all sorts of art and also, yes, war.
Oh, the image of your teenaged daughter sitting between two sulking parents!

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved hearing you are moving in a different direction from surgery (at least for now). Also the accommodation of learning of our changes which is always a challenge. I've been studying the possibility presented by using a foundation of love to deal with differences...compassion towards the "other" is always a hard thing to attempt. So tonight I will watch a debate between two candidates for office, and try to understand each one's point of view. Of course I am biased going in...so will especially look hardest to see the good in the candidate I don't want to win. It's a step toward global peace from an elder.

Steve Reed said...

I appreciate Saeed's conclusions about animals and humanity. I also like the observations about rabbits and hares. I never really knew how a hare was different from a rabbit until fairly recently.

Your Paris story reminded me of my step-sister, who was taken to Paris by her mom when she was a teenager and behaved basically the same way. (And she was the only one of us four siblings who got to go.) I can't imagine not being interested in Paris, even as a sulky teenager!

ellen abbott said...

we killed off all the big predators as we evolved leaving us with nothing to keep us in check. I think that why we wage war. we have become our own predator. even so we have still overpopulated the planet unlike rabbits who have better sense. my daughter did a project of rabbits in middle school. a pregnant female will resorb the fetuses if there isn't enough food to sustain the population. (it's been a long time but that little bit of info stayed with me, anyway I hope I'm remembering it correctly).

no surgery sounds good to me. I'm working hard on internalizing and accepting a potentially life threatening aneurysm, hoping the angiogram will show they were mistaken.