29 July 2024

only a dream and lots of walking

Last night or rather early this morning, I had the weirdest dream and I don't usually remember my dreams and when I do, I don't really pay any attention to them. I used to when I was young and innocent, in a searching kind of way, and for a while even wrote them down in a pretty little dream diary - which eventually made its way into the deep below the bed world.

In today's dream, I was visited by a medical crew, a group of smart looking youngsters in uniforms, who stood around my bed reading out various diagnoses and observations from charts. I knew right away that this was a scam and somehow ended up talking with them and it turned out they were desperate, had been forced into this. Meanwhile R had called the police and in the end, we both helped them to get away safely before the police arrived. Seriously, what?

So last week I did a LOT of walking, in fact every day, including up a very steep hill on a medieval stations-of-the-cross walk through ancient forest across the river, complete with statues and crosses and I seriously suffered along what with the heat and the climb but I made it and on top, joined the lazy tourists who had driven up there. I usually walk alone or with R who doesn't talk much but points out plants and fungi and stuff like that in his best science teacher mode. But on Friday, I went for a longish walk with a friend who had just been through a nasty divorce and in the end we had walked for close to  three hours round and round the large central cemetery until she had most of it off her chest. We also noted how there are less graves and increasingly more (managed) wild flower fields and bee hives and biotopes ponds which I was informed is due to outrageous funeral and burial plot maintenance costs.

It's the time of summer when we hand out courgettes and pears to anybody silly enough to come near us and possibly some neighbours have gone into hiding by now.

A few thoughts on recent events and why there is no time to rest and sit back and laugh about silly social media memes.

. . misogyny is one of the most dangerous weapons on Earth. The best friend of authoritarians and oligarchs. The handmaiden of tyrants.

. . .  it’s misogyny – networked misogyny across multiple global platforms that will earn their tech bro owners billions upon billions of dollars – that is going to decide the 2024 election. And it’s misogyny that’s going to dictate the future of Nato, the outcome of the war in Ukraine, whether we have peace in Europe or more war. And because this is going to be a firehose that will be directed at a single woman – Kamala Harris – it will be misogyny multiplied: misogyny plus racism, the most toxic combination of all.

They used to call us witches because we knew shit. We still do. That’s what makes us so powerful. And dangerous. 

So, here’s what I need you to do now: to shut up and sit down and listen. You are at risk. We are all at risk. Because this is what I know: bad things are coming. We are in a code red emergency.

Because misogyny isn’t bad people saying bad things that may hurt your feelings. (Though it might.) And misogyny isn’t about silencing women. (Though it does.)

Misogyny is now one of the deadliest weapons on Earth. Misogyny is a dirty bomb in the heart of our information system. Misogyny is electoral interference. Misogyny is a national security threat so lethal we can’t even see it.

Because misogyny is invisible. It’s never about all women, it’s always just about one particular, disagreeable woman who just happens to not be very likeable. Or competent. Who is loud or “shrill” or annoying or who got the job because she slept with a man. Or because she was a diversity hire. A woman who can’t even run her own house let alone a country. A woman who is “nasty”. A woman who isn’t and cannot be the strong leader a nation needs. Enjoy the sunshine of the Kamala moment. Breathe in the clean fresh air of facts, of evidence, of information. Of hope. Before the toxic social media chimneys crank up the content. Because shortly, the particulates will arrive, will silently and stealthily and invisibly start clogging our bronchial pathways even as the billionaire bros who own the platforms rake in record profits. 

Soon, we won’t even notice. It’ll just be part of the air that we breathe. A choking toxic misogynistic stew that will silently pour over the culture war trenches like mustard gas. Darkness is coming. This is the world social media created. And we’re much further out than we thought.

Carol Cadwalladr


9 comments:

  1. Good for you for the walks! Good for you and good ON you.
    Now. As to that little essay- I wish, oh how I wish, I did not agree that this is what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world seems to hate women, a world that would not exist without women. The irony, or maybe that's the point, fear.

    I'm glad you got out for a good long walk and I'm glad your friend had someone to talk to. I miss that right now and feel lonely at times. My go to girlfriend is dealing with her cancer, slowly getting worse and I can't burden her with my shit too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X7sZzSXYs

    You mentioned Padraig O'Tuama in your comment and I looked him up and found a poem he had recorded that reminded me of this young woman and thought you might enjoy her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought-provoking words from Ms. Cadwalladr. I still remember Gene Robinson, the former episcopal bishop who stirred up so much controversy when he was appointed to his post despite being gay, making the point that anti-LGBT sentiment comes from the same place as misogyny. That they both stem from a very male desire for dominance and "strength," and a tendency toward violent resistance to perceived weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your walking inspires! Of course I wont be walking like that but you have put the possibility forward...I maybe could if I was not so lazy.
    Thank you for the essay- Smash the patriarchy- our only hope , as we all know, women are the strongest of the genders, kept in tow by insecure and controlling patriarchal standards- father son and holy ghost!
    Anyway, great essay, thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The invisibility and sneakiness of misogyny is indeed ingrained in our culture, education, churches/synagogues/mosques, and businesses! Each young person voting for the first time is the voice of possibility, and needs encouragement from my side of things, the elders. Thanks for a good and thoughtful essay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish what Ms Cadwalladr is saying was not true, however I'm afraid that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darkness has been here for a long time. And so has light.

    Quite a dream you had, followed by long walks and talking with a friend.

    I just keep walking toward the light, knowing I'm not alone.

    Wish I could have some of the pears and courgettes from your garden. We finally have some rain here. That's a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been having some very weird strange dreams the last week or so though not last night.

    the patriarchy will try to suppress us again but I think I hope we will not allow it to suppress us again. we have more power and freedom than we have had in thousands of years and we are not going back. we have lost a little ground, they want us to die in pregnancy and be afraid, but this push to make childless women less than is going to fail. they are pissing us off. they are scared of our independence, that we don't need men while they need us. and I disagree with Carol's conclusion. we are noticing and we will not give in. they can demean us us all they want, they can call us names but we refuse to breathe it in.

    ReplyDelete