Hot, very hot days, the garden is brittle and dusty. In the morning, we harvest. Amazing as it is, there are trees full of pears, apples, plums, a row of blueberry bushes, beetroot, fennel, carrots like never before and a long maze of blackberry vines climbing along the hedge. We water sparingly in drips and drops, buckets of waste water from the kitchen and the shower. The house is cool with all the blinds down during the day, ceiling fans here and there. At night, a light breeze flies through the rooms, now that all windows are open and I listen to the martens fighting and mating, their shouts are very loud and shrill, almost like the crying or anguished screams of a person.
Just before dark, we cycle along the river - nothing mighty about the narrow trickle of the Rhine these days.
![]() |
picture taken by Meike Böschemeyer/local paper |
This here below has been on my mind for many days now. I recognise myself, my mother, myself again, and well, so many women.
. . . the hypervigilance so many women feel toward others’ emotional states is not dysfunction. It is very often an accurate response to real power dynamics. When women develop finely tuned antennae for the moods in a room, they are not being oversensitive. They are being precise.
A woman’s nervous system that hesitates before disagreeing, that softens every request, that scans faces before speaking – that nervous system is not confused. It has correctly mapped the territory. Her nervous system is running an accurate cost-benefit analysis of authenticity in environments where authenticity has a well known cost and consequence for her.
When you scan a room before you speak, you may not simply be anxious. You could be calculating. Your body just might be running a complex algorithm honed over years: Who has power here? What happened last time I disagreed? Can I afford the consequences of being fully myself in this room?
That is threat assessment not a personality flaw.(There are) four survival responses: fight, flight, freeze, and fawn.
The term “fawn” was given to us by psychotherapist Pete Walker, who observed in his work with complex trauma that some survivors learn to secure safety not by fighting or fleeing, but by appeasing: merging with others’ expectations, anticipating their needs, becoming indispensable or invisible as the moment requires.
. . . fawning is what a nervous system does when its social-engagement circuitry becomes a survival tool – when connection itself is drafted into defence. It is the strategy of choice when fighting means certain defeat and fleeing means abandonment or destitution. Far from being passive, it is arguably the most sophisticated of the survival responses: a real-time diplomatic operation conducted by your physiology on your behalf.
Now ask yourself: for most of recorded history, which sex has most often faced exactly that configuration – unable to win the fight, unable to afford the flight? Fawning is not a female flaw. It is a rational adaptation to a specific, gendered predicament, repeated across generations until it became embodied.
Your people-pleasing isn’t a weakness. It’s your body’s brilliant attempt to navigate systems that were never designed for your thriving.
Honour that intelligence.

Thank you so much for this piece by Ailey Jolie. I get so confused when what is said in words doesn't match what I can see on their body. It's not a weakness, like I've always believed, but me trying to survive. I thank you for this Sabine. More thinking will be done on this. Sending hugs and I hope your ankle is slowly healing and feeling better.
ReplyDeleteGrateful for your voice from Germany during this fiery summer.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the link to the rest of Ailey Jolie's excellent affirming Substack post with its concluding statement::
"A note on who this piece is written for. I wrote this essay from the inside of my own history — as a woman, as a daughter, as a child raised inside a heterosexual relationship — and the "she" and "he" on these pages reflect that. They also reflect the numbers: the majority of this violence is committed by men against women.
But domestic violence does not check identity at the door.
Men are harmed by partners too — around one in seven experiences severe physical violence in his lifetime, and he faces his own wall of disbelief when he says so.It happens in queer relationships at rates as high or higher, with bisexual women carrying some of the highest rates of all. And the risk is not spread evenly among women: Indigenous women, Black women, disabled women, and trans women live with markedly higher rates of this violence, and meet more barriers when they reach for help — a reality still under-centred in how we speak about trauma.
If your experience does not look like the one in these pages, please know that healing still means coming home to your body — and you deserve that homecoming too."
I developed fawning as a survival skill in relation to my mother who was often terrifying. Children in alcoholic or other dysfunctional families learn various ways to survive. Fawning is a brilliant strategy, as affirmed by Ailey Jolie. You've given me much to process. Thank you again.
ReplyDeleteRivers are drying up here too. I went out this morning about 10 after 8 to set up the sprinkler, cut sprouted dewberry vines, pecan and hackberry trees to the ground, pull grass and weeds out of an area I have ignored. It felt almost pleasant, those few degrees below hell almost felt cool. Forty minutes later sweat was dripping off me. Still have some flowers blooming but the only food crop still producing in people's gardens is okra. It loves the heat.
ReplyDeleteWomen's appeasement is a survival tactic. Has always been. I was never very good at it.
While I'm sure that's true for women, I'd argue that it's not exclusively women who learn those survival skills. Anyone who lived in a household with a domineering, emotionally fragile or abusive parent -- or any such authority figure -- knows how to scan the room and keep the vibes flowing the right way.
ReplyDeleteOur blackberries are just about finished here. There are still some on the vine but they seem to be getting smaller and harder. I'm not sure they'll ever ripen.
No, of course, it's not a skill exclusive to women. The author specifies that further in her article (click on her name, that's the link). However, it struck a chord with me as a woman and brought up memories and connections to women I have known and female experiences I have observed for decades. Surely there are other authors, whatever gender, highlighting this issue from a male point of view.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDeletePrior to walker looking for a fourth f. It was called the Bambi reflex. Why women want to make themselves smaller through this terminology is beyond me. Corner a female wolf is a stronger image than a fawn and women need better terminology than fawn.
Aholes are responsible for their behavior.
I was just interrupted and lost my train of thought.
In my understanding of the article I took the quote from, and in that quote itself, there is no suggestion that women want to make themselves smaller. Rather, it is described as a survival skill to be honoured. If we all act like wolves where would that lead us? I remember reading a critique of the Bambi terminology years ago as it implies weakness and helpless cuteness and that is exactly not what this skill offers. I would not see it as a reflex either, it's a cunning skill that has helped women to survive at times when turning into a "wolf" would have meant being shunned. If you see it as an irrational reflex you are missing the point. I suggest you click on the link (the author's name) and read the whole piece.
DeleteSome stats
ReplyDelete80% of DV victims are female
I've come across the term for a while. I'm also aware of the policies being written to protect women. There is a big debate at the moment that the language is passive. It puts the onus on the victim and what she has to do when the focus should be stopping men from doing it. This term feeds into that. My wolf eg. Wasn't a great one but if one wants to use animals a mama bear will bring cubs to safety to avoid a deadly fight.
ReplyDeleteFawn is a horrible term. Fawns lie in the grass hoping their camouflage will protect them.
I know that it's a survival skill. But women have to endure. The enduring needs to end. Spinning violence of another into her skill set is not good.
I don't see it as an irrational reflex, never said that.
Turn subterfuge into a verb better term.
The four fs has a historical bad association. Women with MIs were categorized as fat female fertile over forty by cardiologists. Now a psychologist is continuing that.
I posted this quote because it rings true, because it called up memories, good and bad, but mostly because I really like the positive and respectful acknowledgement of this skill, which is not some accidental survival impulse.
DeleteI did not post this to call for a debate or to be lectured.
Because frankly, I am done with men analysing and advising women on how to act or not act and how our behaviour should be correctly phrased and examined. There are lots platforms on social media where this is done, some may even be surprisingly supportive and clear.
But this is MY blog. Not the place you seem to be looking for.