25 April 2013

So many plans, so much I want to do. But instead, looking at the magnolia leaves on the ground, all I can feel is time passing while I just sit and watch. Ah, the crucial leap between thought and action. I seem to have completely forgotten how to manage that.

Most evenings I ask myself if the time until the next morning is actually enough to somehow recover. Physically recover. You are such a wimp, says the voice in my head. No, you have a chronic illness, says my doctor. Bah, rubbish, says the voice. Don't fool yourself, says my doctor.
And so on and on. 

Meanwhile, one of the girls has done a runner from her "retirement center". There are only old people here, she cried over the phone, too many wheelchairs. It's not the right place for me.
So she packed got help to pack her stuff and has moved back into her little dingy place in the city where she can push her walker along the potholed sidewalks to the corner shop and say hello to the  men sitting at the bus stop with their drinks and try not to drop her pills and make her own breakfast and dinner again and we all keep our fingers crossed that the next fall plus fracture will not be for a while yet. And better not happen at night.

Just to think of it, me here slouching through my days and over there, our almost deaf and blind Nuala, standing at the bus stop with her walker ready for a day's outing to the sales and a bit of mass thrown in.

What am I doing with my life. What is my life doing to me. What was it again that I wanted?

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Life and circumstance are cruel enough. Don't add on cruelty to yourself. Please. You are NOT a wimp. Give yourself the kindness you would offer to another.

MedicatedMoo said...

Dunno the answers to those questions, but what's wrong with a wobbly camera recording what you see and hear in the forest?

beth coyote said...

The days are this way sometimes. I'm better in the sunlight. Grateful for it. Today is such a day. I can see myself going AWOL from the mass of wheelchairs.

X Beth

Ellena said...

I almost said Bravo Nuala and then I thought 'No way', she is being a selfish old girl just like a selfish little child does puts burdens and worries on us unknowingly.

am said...

Good questions. Thank you.

Lovely spring forest with birds singing.

Rouchswalwe said...

Oh Sabine. If it helps any, I hear you.

Sabine said...

Thank you all!
Yes Beth, there are these days when all the calendar wisdom lets me down. And I can be very good at that, ask my family.
Ms Moon, thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Ellena, I am not sure whether to cry or laugh for Nuala. It is now a real and big concern for the family but where does it say that you must spend your last years in a place that makes looking after you convenient for relatives?

I know that am not doing a good job in replying to all the lovely comments, so bear with me.