26 December 2023

the apple grater

In this part of the world, the show started as always on Christmas Eve at 2 pm when the shops closed. Until Wednesday morning, 27th December, no real live consumerism.

There's the usual string of services (we abstained from) with various themes, for the children, the pets, the elderly,  the homeless and so on. Mixed in were recitals, Händel, Bach, lots of choir singing and a couple of nativity plays. Also without us in attendance.

We did our best. On Christmas Eve, I cleaned most of the kitchen cupboards and we argued discussed which useless gadgets we should get rid off. R made cauliflower cheese and we watched that apocalyptic movie with Julia Roberts. On Christmas Day, we cycled where possible along the flooded river, it was quite spectacular. The third flood in so many months. R cooked the goose and ate it, I stuck to a slice of toast with a ripe Spanish avocado as I was mainly still working on yesterday's cauliflower cheese. Then I finished cleaning the kitchen cupboards and found my father's glass Bircher apple grater, which was sitting in the box with my grandmother's wine glasses, the ones that took on a greenish tinge and according to R. contain uranium. They will have to go.

 


That apple grater has been in use in the household of my childhood. I vividly remember watching my father grating apples into our muesli while my mother was breastfeeding my baby brother.  

When I was finished with the cupboards, I washed the floors, listening to the Rolling Stones new album. In the evening, for lack of another apocalyptic movie, we settled for a Swedish thriller. 

Today, Boxing Day, 26th, I used the apple grater with my porridge and got sentimental.

In between there were zoom calls and old fashioned phone calls with family and friends and we shook hands with various neighbours the way you only do once every year.

In the afternoon, R checked on the river once more, still high, while my abdomen started its merry game of bloating and cramps and colicking and I resorted to the blessings of a heating pad and distraction aka reading the news.

This is what I found out.

The Kremlin is ruled by an autocratic gang led by Vladimir Putin, who has declared war on the entire West. Iranian-backed militias are attacking merchant ships in the Red Sea, Israel and Hamas are fighting a brutal war in the Gaza Strip and a conflict with the potential for world war is looming in the South China Sea. The drones and cruise missiles that are currently falling on Ukrainian cities could also hit Tallinn and Warsaw or Berlin, Hamburg and Frankfurt. An unlikely scenario? Two years ago, a major war in Ukraine still seemed unlikely.

On New Years Day, I'll clean the oven and the fridge.

8 comments:

Boud said...

I like how you end up tending to what you can control, considering the out of control world! Happy New Year!

Pixie said...

The world and some of it's leaders seem intent on chaos and war to solve problems that should be solved with talking, but where would that leave the arms dealers? Destitute? Fucking hell, humans are stupid, including myself sadly:(

Ms. Moon said...

When I was having a kidney stone episode, I learned about the almost-magic of jigsaw puzzles. If I listened to a podcast or an audio book and worked on a jigsaw puzzle, the pain became more bearable. Now, there were times when I could not even sit down for the pain but when it was milder- the puzzle and the stories in my ears worked pretty well.
I cannot read about news like that. I simply cannot.

Colette said...

Sheesh. I get so tired of the evil human beings (usually men) do.

ellen abbott said...

I fear the world has been at (general) peace for too long. the haters and warmongers, the greedy and cruel have grown restless and tired of being repressed. there is something inherent in human beings. we can only be good, compassionate, and peaceful for just so long and then all that repressed violence comes out.

we watched that movie and then it just ended.

I've never seen or heard of an apple grater. it looks like it would just turn the apple into mush.

Sabine said...

The apple grater is hard work but you get finely shredded apple - always grate unpeeled apples - with the juice collected in the rim. It was designed in the early 20th century by one Max Bircher-Benner, a Swiss physician and nutritionist who invented the original Muesli (Swiss German word for mush). The original Bircher muesli is made with oat flakes soaked overnight in either water or orange juice or a mix of both, then the grated apple and apple juice is mixed in and some nuts and topped with a tiny splash of cream or condensed milk. No sugar, no dried fruit or chia seeds etc. You can get this for breakfast in any Swiss hotel or cafe.
My parents were serious followers of that kind of health food.

Steve Reed said...

I liked that Julia Roberts movie, as weird as it was.

For what it's worth, and I am not an expert on this by any means, uranium glass is supposedly quite safe -- as safe or safer than many household electronics. I think it contains such a tiny amount of uranium that it's not significant, though apparently actually drinking from it might not be wise. (I read all this just by Googling so, as I say, I am no expert.)

ellen abbott said...

I love muesli whatever version I can get for those days when I don't have time to cook my regular oatmeal. I've had to order it online the last time because Costco didn't have it.