17 January 2024

dreadful white stuff

 

This was yesterday. Benign scenery, we walked for a while and it was sort of nice. 

Right now, it's snowing heavily. The more serious snow, the kind that stays on the ground, which is frozen. I grew up with long winters like that and always disliked it, all of it, the skiing, the tobogganing, the ice skating, the snowball fights, the wet mittens, the frozen toes, the runny nose, the amount of time needed to get ready to go out, to come back in. In this part of the world, however, the valley of a very large river, snow doesn't come often and never for long. But the people freak out nevertheless. Schools are closed, public transport shuts down, that sort of stuff.

The strangely good news, the forecast for next week is almost tropical, with temperatures way above even for a normal January. 

I had the pleasant experience of yet another colonoscopy, this was number 10 over a period of almost 20 years. It's not my favourite pastime but needs must etc. I was introduced to a new term, the so-called burned-out stage of this chronic inflammatory disease. Apparently, after 20 years of coping and struggling with inflammation in the various regions of my formerly healthy physical self (ears, eyes, lungs and colon) my body has handed over the large intestine and basically said, there you go, I've done my bit, taken all the drugs, followed all the guidelines, you win, I give up. 

End-stage or “burned-out” ulcerative colitis is characterized by shortening of the colon, loss of normal redundancy in the sigmoid region and at the splenic and hepatic flexures, disappearance of the haustral pattern, a featureless mucosa, absence of discrete ulceration, and narrowed caliber of the bowel.

So basically, the days of careless eating whatever and whenever I want to are over for good. In fact, they have been over for a good while but now I've got it in black and white. I am still eating food, I still enjoy it, but I have become one of these tiresome fidgety eaters, picking and separating food stuffs on my plate. R has started to make cooking for me into an art form, will not accept that I could happily survive on porridge and various other gruel-type things, alphabet soup and apple sauce. 

There's still more diagnostics to come, a couple more suspicious symptoms to clarify, and there's still talk of surgery. This is not something that scares or surprises me. I am an old hand at this.

My sister send me a book to read for distraction in these, as she finds, trying times. You will find this book is very moving and eventually uplifting, she claimed. She is serious. The main character, a successful young writer, is coming to terms with a diagnosis of terminal colon cancer and hides from his partner in a retreat center (scenic, forest, lakes etc.) to search for the meaning of his life, while she, the partner, suffers a miscarriage. When I got to this stage, I skipped to the last page, where she has left him for his best friend and he is moving to a houseboat for his final peaceful days, but with a potential life saving cure on the horizon or something like that. I read it diagonally. You've got to hand it to her, my sister knows what it takes. 

Olaf says hi!



8 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

When I read "burn-out stage" I thought- well, I would have thought she'd reached that point a long time ago because I sure would have.
I see though, that this is burn-out of a body part and that truly is horrible. I am so sorry, not that it does one bit of good for me to say that. But I am.

Pixie said...

Your sister has interesting ideas about distraction.

I read about what happens after the burn-out stage, bloody hell. Hope things go well. As for the snow, it's always so beautiful when it falls and covers everything in a white blanket. Does make life harder though.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis, whatever the details might mean. You've obviously been in discomfort for quite a while now, and I'm glad to hear some dietary things will help. I am too old for colonoscopies, apparently, so have been given harsh drugs, all of which gave horrid results! My gut is older than yours. I'm so sorry that the results don't seem to have much of a positive direction, or do they? I'm glad you didn't wade through that book. Hi to Olaf!

am said...

"R has started to make cooking for me into an art form, will not accept that I could happily survive on porridge and various other gruel-type things, alphabet soup and apple sauce."

The life you and R share through thick and thin demonstrates true love.

Sending love to you and R who takes such good care of you.

Your sister's book recommendation is profoundly baffling.

I don't like snow either, but I do love Olaf.

jozien said...

Hi back to Olaf, of course i love him. ... and you would think here Yukon we are used to driving in snow, but as we only have some 40.000 people over the size of the whole of Germany i bet. Hence less trafic and 7 months of practice per year, it does not make our drivers better in any way. Yesterday on the way to town , we saw two vehicles in the ditch and one spinning out trying to get up a hill, and! not to mention i slid throug a turning red light. It is a good thing we have few people here.

Steve Reed said...

For some reason I was thinking that "burned out" might be a GOOD thing, as if the disease finally just gave up. But of course the damage is done. So sorry.

The book sounds...terrible.

am said...

Second thoughts. I still love the Olaf in your snow photo. But now that I have looked into his role in "Frozen," I am remembering how painful it was for me to think about my relationship with my sisters as I watched how that movie ended. Google says that Olaf represents the loving relationship the two sisters in "Frozen" once had. Sadly, my two sisters and I were played against each other and were never close. We remain separated. I often wonder if there is any possibility of reconciliation. It seems unlikely, short of a miracle.

ellen abbott said...

well, that just sucks but you seem to be taking it in stride as you have always. what other option is there. a miracle cure on the horizon like in the book? of course not. I hope the result of all these tests and whatnot at least provide you some relief.

I don't like snow either and fortunately my exposure to it has been minimal and it usually is gone in a matter of hours or occasionally days. it's cold and wet and when you get out in it you are cold and wet. ugh. just don't see the appeal. my most miserable winter was the one I spent in Chicago...snow, ice, wind, and below freezing temps all the time.