20 January 2024

On a quiet day you have to develop your imagination of enduring love.

 


 

There I was, traipsing through the snow, searching for winter wonderland, for beauty and calm and yes, meaning. But all I came up with - at first - was, when will all this shit melt away (spoiler: by tomorrow midday)? Why are people driving on roads packed with snow? Who invented these tiny sledges? What happens to kids when they lose one mitten, do they go home and get another pair, do they go on making snowballs with one hand? And importantly, will all the single mittens I have picked up and stuck on fences and gates be found and reunited with their twin? 

Eventually, I got used to the sound of my crunching feet and the swishing fabric of my parka, some of which, so the label says, has been made from recycled plastic bottles. This is when my mind begins to float freely.

The power of quotes, the power of snippets, short sentences, paragraphs, often taken out of context. I rely on it heavily, I copy and paste and collect them in blog post drafts for future use - but then I forget, they just sit there, too many. Occasionally, I read them and ask myself, why did I save this or what does it mean now. I also used to cut out bits from newspapers, collect them in a heavy concertina folder. But since we read the news online, this has become dated. I looked through that folder recently and chucked out stacks of reports and reviews and opinion pieces on the Iraq wars. Even longer ago, I used to be one of these mothers who would send newspaper cuttings and handwritten quotes on postcards to her daughter away at uni, lest she forget about the importance of life's meaning according to mum. 

Sometimes when I am clueless or sad or lost with it all, the big shebang of living and coping and understanding, there can be just that one quote, one short sentence from a writer, a poet, a blogger, an artist, peasant farmer, politician, priest, thinker or non-thinker, that lifts me up, enough to feel, yes, here it is, this stream of understanding, connecting me to others, some dead for thousands of years, some far away, but human nevertheless, then, now and in the future.

As I walk I look at these neat houses, wonder who lives behind these windows. I am four streets from my own, so in good German tradition, this is foreign territory, where you nod politely but otherwise mind your own business. 

Most of these houses are well over 100 years old. With one or two exceptions, renovated with great attention to detail and history. I am watching the exceptions, some have been empty for years, one is slowly disintegrating and I am reminded of Mary Moon and the falling down house she observes on her walks.

The wish for permanence, that things should be as they used to be, always were, is perhaps just a childish reaction to the human experience that change is the only constant in our lives. My life has been marked by many changes since I left my (3rd) childhood home at age 18.  My current address is the overall 14th so far, or maybe the 19th, depending on whether I paid rent/mortgage or squatted for a while. When I filled out my pension application, I was asked to state my address as of May 1990, which was at address number ten, in country number five, on continent number two. It has no bearing on my pension. The question is merely to ascertain whether I lived in the east or the west of Germany before reunification. But I wonder what they make of it or whether someone in the pension office even knows where that country is.

But now I am here, have lived here for the longest period of my life, in a place I would have called a boring suburb in a country I once left in disgust for good. As I walk on to where the winter version of the farmer's market is happening, I am approached by a group of cheerful young people handing out leaflets about their housing co-op project. We talk for a while, I eventually tell them that I was involved in setting up and lived in a housing co-op many years ago and that it's still going strong. They scrutinize me with polite disbelief, how come, they seem to think, she looks like a middle-class old woman.  I smile and leave them to their leafleting, dream on, I think, but also: good luck to you.

Where was I? Quotes. Here is today's selection:

Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. (Arundhati Roy) 

You have to develop your imagination to the point that permits sympathy to happen. You have to be able to imagine lives that are not yours or the lives of your loved ones or the lives of your neighbors. You have to have at least enough imagination to understand that if you want the benefits of compassion, you must be compassionate. If you want forgiveness, you must be forgiving. It's a difficult business, being human. (Wendell Berry)

Enduring love comes when we love most of what we learn about the other person and can tolerate the faults they cannot change. (Louise Erdrich)





11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sabine- thank you for the quotes- I shared them with my daughter who lives in Lisbon now. I hope for them to bring her peace and happiness? As they brought me. I look forward to your post as I would look forward to a chat with a wise and searching friend.

Thank you.

Stephanie from Virginia, US

ellen abbott said...

"and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." (the Beatles, as if you didn't know).

I try to be optimistic about the state of this country, that this is a blip in the road but it seems as if the entire world is enduring upheaval which brings me to think that humanity is undergoing a sea change. back and forth. we humans have for the most part kept our darkness submerged but it looks as if it can no longer be restrained. if we lose out democracy to the republicans, whoever it is, Putin will be unleashed and Europe will be at war again, the Israeli/Hamas war is spreading throughout the Middle East. the current enlightenment will be done and religion will rule again.

and another: the only thing that stays the same is that everything changes.

Pixie said...

I especially love the middle quote. I used to collect quotes too and eventaully trashed them as well. The world seems to swing from one extreme to the other on a regular basis sadly, all the while humans never really learning the lessons of the past, including me:(

Ms. Moon said...

Thank you for the shout-out, Sabine. That was sweet of you.
It is indeed heartening to find a line somewhere or hear one and realize that there are so many who have felt or do feel the way you do and that may have a grain of such truth and honesty in it that it sustains you. And you're right- these words may come from poets or philosophers but in my experience, they come more often from people I may only know as a face across a cash register or at the post office. Or a grandchild. I am hungry for those words.

Barbara Rogers said...

I look forward to reading your posts...no matter the topic. Me too, lots of quotes all organized, and only put one on a blog so I might share some inspiration. There is that, though it can be overdone. That is where the future image with religion in the forefront again gave me pause. Religions were just organizations of people who decided they had a good way to live, moralistic, it met some standards and gave a hope for the future. Then people found ways to twist them, and turn one against another. Everybody in a war goes out and says "God is on our side."

am said...

Louise Erdrich on enduring love. Glad that you have more time to write, more time with R, more time to be outside (even in the snow) since you've retired. I'm especially moved by this longer post.

Steve Reed said...

Snow! It's looking very wintry there! I've never been a quote collector. Occasionally I'll read one and think, "I need to blog that!" And sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But it's not very frequent. I'm not sure why that is or what it says about me!

Roderick Robinson said...

This post is an object lesson aimed at those bloggers who, in effect, announce: nothing happened so there's nothing to write about. Who are admitting, to the world at large, that there is no such thing as passing thoughts. Perhaps, on some occasions, no thoughts at all. That they may, perhaps, walk through the world with all five senses closed down. Devoid of imagination, speculation and all those other mental processes that set us aside from, say, the wolverine.

And especially the rail you found yourself riding following your apocalyptic encounter with the single glove. Evocative of "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." the six-word story, popularly attributed to Ernest Hemingway.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A very entertaining and well constructed piece, with much to ponder. I’m glad that I came across it this morning.

Colette said...

I've had that Arundhati Roy on one of my facebook pages for a couple of years. At first I put it up to annoy the people who want to turn back the clock. But eventually I realized it meant so very much to me to believe that I could hear her breathing. Ever the optimist, I listen.

Anonymous said...

37paddington: Wendell Berry always delivers. Thank you for every word here.