03 January 2024

Like all other sensible people I decided to not do the thing with new year's resolutions. I am old enough to know that it'll never work, I'll never stick to any of it and by week two the latest, won't remember a thing.

Then my rebellious streak woke up and here we go:

  • Listen to one Bruce Springsteen song per day, starting with his oldest release and working your way through to near present day.
  • Read one poem every day. Currently following Pádraig Ó Tuama (Poetry Unbound transcripts).
  • Read, not listen to, printed not online pages every day, a chapter, a short story, whatever. Currently one story per day from Antarctica by Claire Keegan
  • One to two hours outside, walking, cycling, gardening, whatever, at least every day, come rain or shine.
  • Keep the daily food intake record the gastrologist asked for months ago. 
  • Keep the weight record the gastrologist asked for months ago. Weight loss record.
  • Reply to missed calls, emails and messages asap, not months later.
  • Reply to blog comments.

In past years, I chose one author I was interested in or liked or was curious about and read all their work in chronological order over the year. I haven't yet decided for this year, Margaret Atwood or Joseph O'Connor or Janet Frame, not sure.

It's a work in progress.


5 comments:

Pixie said...

I picked up a book from the library this afternoon, Chair Yoga for Dummies. Sounds like my speed. I do want to get more fit.
I have also started the processes required for retirement. Yikes. I come from a long line of deeply impoverished people and their worries seem to have embedded themselves in my DNA. I always worry about money and I hoard food. Epigenetics at it's finest:)
The cold weather is finally coming here, which will make it harder for me to haul my butt outside. We'll see.
Your list seems doable. Good luck:)

Ms. Moon said...

This all sounds sensible and doable. I especially love the Bruce Springsteen part. I think we would all be wise to listen to a song of his a day. My love for him has been long and profound. Have you read his autobiography? It's not all joy and light but it's honest.

Steve Reed said...

I especially like the two hours outside vow. I need to make sure I do more of that myself. My walks to and from work help, but I still need another hour sometime during the day!

ellen abbott said...

that strikes me as a lot of things to try and do every day. my 'resolutions' are to be better about my home yoga routine, devote more time to reading (actual physical books) instead of wasting so much time playing mindless games on my phone, and to be better about answering comments. we'll see how that goes. as for Bruce, his first two albums were the best, in fact the first one is my favorite. try some Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Anonymous said...

I like reading your list. It makes me want to write one. Our lists would be pretty similar, Sabine. (NewRobin13)