29 March 2024

good Friday

Isn’t it amazing the way life can seem too short, and intrinsically magical, yet at the same time feel like a long, uphill road, potholed with fuckwits?

Tom Cox

Good Friday. This is the holiest of holy days in the secular country I am living in. Seriously. By law, all parts of Germany observe nine holy days throughout the year, Bavaria, which claims to be more catholic than others, observes 11 holy days. And these are serious holy days, we stay home from work, all shops, restaurants, cafes are shut, TV programs act as if it's a Sunday. As for Good Friday, no music, no dancing, no long nights in clubs or pubs, no sports and so on. When I was growing up, these days felt like heavy weights of boredom, long and cold and often rainy. Today, I watch the rain, waiting for a break so I can go on a walk. The beep from the house across the road a steady reminder of human acts of fuckwittery. 

Many years ago, during Easter break, we were cycling along the river Danube towards Vienna, battling with rain and headwind so strong, we almost gave up. On Good Friday, we woke in a medieval country inn where I had spent much of the night wandering back and forth to the bathroom on the landing across, expecting an imminent UTI but it was just because my feet were freezing cold. We speculated about Good Friday rules and how to get supplies for the day but walked out into a busy market day with not the tiniest inkling of holy whatever. That's Austria for you. Now, in Ireland, it's also just another busy day, as are all other holy days, like Ascension or Whitsun or Corpus Christi. I was seriously shocked when I found out.

Last night, I've read my way through a couple of obituaries for Frans de Waal, a primatologist I greatly admire. On the bicycle tour mentioned above, we visited an exhibition dedicated to his work at the Natural History Museum in Vienna (one the world's most amazing museums, BTW). 

This is one of my favourite quotes from his work (I have posted this before):

 I cannot name any emotion that is uniquely human. There are maybe emotions related to religion — let’s say spirituality — but even for that, I cannot exclude that animals have those kinds of feelings. Who says they don’t? In humans, religious feelings are not expressed in the face. That kind of emotion is not visible. And if emotions are not visible, how can we exclude that it exists in other species?

One of his findings was the fairness concept, explained here:


I could go on a tangent about studies in primates and how this is so amazing and how we should watch and listen, but it's not just primates.  

Pigs have been found to plan and carry out rescue missions to help incarcerated or otherwise distressed fellow pigs. In an experiment, which has been repeated by others , researchers added two small compartments to a barn where pigs are normally kept and both had a window through which the animals could look in and a door that can only be opened from the outside. In the first part of the experiment, the animals learnt to open the compartment doors by pushing a lever upwards with their snout. In the second part, each pig was isolated from the group once and locked in one of the compartments. The other box was also locked, but remained empty. In 85 per cent of cases, the pigs freed the trapped group member from the test compartment within 20 minutes. The longer pigs looked through the window at the trapped animal, the sooner they freed it.

Cows develop livelong friendships with other cows, as well as dislikes. In a field experiment, the "best friend" and "worst enemy" were first determined for each cow. To do this, all the cows in a barn were fitted with transmitters. A type of GPS for indoor areas then records how much time which cows spend together. A cow's best friend is the animal she spends the most time with. The cow it spends the least time with is considered its enemy. Next, the cows are separated for 30 minutes at a time, once with the best friend from the group and once with the animal they has had the least contact with. Most cows started licking their best friend when they met, and when put next to her enemy, started to push her around. 

But really surprising are goats. Goats ask people for help, so to speak, when they cannot solve a problem themselves. Take this test that was originally developed for dogs. The goat is placed in a room in which a human sits next to a plastic box containing a reward. The lid is only loosely in place three times, the animal can easily push it away with its head and eat the reward. The fourth time, the lid is firmly closed. Now, the goat alternates between looking at humans and at the closed box, as if they are asking for help.

The more scientists find out about the behaviour of farm animals, the clearer it becomes that their cognitive and emotional abilities have so far been hugely underestimated. There is still a widespread belief that all these animals are dumb eating machines that have neither thoughts nor feelings and therefore do not need to be treated with particular consideration. However, this has long been scientifically disproved. 

I have milked cows and goats, mucked out stables of all three (and more) types of farm animals, I observed baby goats and lambs being born, bottle-fed some of them, and I have eaten them, lamb, goats, pigs and cows - disguised as ham, sausage, steak, cutlet, mice, bacon and so on. 

I've also eaten octopus, pheasant, chicken, rabbit, hare, venison, duck, geese, even flying foxes, snake and frog legs. Not including fish and seafood. About twenty years ago, I lost the appetite, my inflamed intestine couldn't handle meat too well and slowly it got less and less until I stopped it altogether.




5 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I had not heard that Frans de Waal's death. I, too, admired him.
That short video is remarkable, isn't it?
I've always wondered how anyone who has been around animals at all, whether wild or domesticated, can doubt that they have emotions quite similar to ours. As to the spiritual emotion- I have heard of monkeys (I think) sitting together to watch sunsets which in my opinion is a sort of spiritual appreciation.

Steve Reed said...

It's impossible to know what's going on in an animal's mind, but like you, I have no reason to believe they don't feel many of the same things we feel. I remember fishing with my dad when I was a child and expressing sorrow about the worms and the fish. "They don't feel things like we do," he said. "How do you know?" I said. That question STILL hasn't been answered!

Sabine said...

Fish may not feel pain like we do, but the latest science tells us that they do feel pain, albeit differently:

https://hakaimagazine.com/features/fish-feel-pain-now-what/

and here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8093373/

and here: https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/12/9/1182

ellen abbott said...

I have never believed that any living creature other than humans were just dumb animals that acted on instinct alone. what a preposterous idea. humans are so arrogant. every living creature is sentient, life is sentient, how else could it survive, and with sentience comes all the emotions. I had seen the study with the capuchin monkeys. we eat meat though about 3 - 4 of our meals a week are vegetarian. so many people become vegetarian because they don't want to eat anything with a face or because they recognise their sentience. however many studies have shown that plants are also sentient, are aware of the other life around them, communicate with members of their species and even send help to a member in distress and they also feel pain though, as with fish, not the same way we do. when cut or pulled up they scream in their own way. so what do we eat? the answer is everything eats and what we eat is each other, it's just the way of it. this is a closed system, there is no manna from heaven. so ideally we tend our animals and gardens with love and respect and thank them for the nourishment they give us just as we use other animals or plants to nourish them.

Roderick Robinson said...

Aged ten or eleven I ran wild when my mother - deeply troubled by my father's infidelity - left home. It's astonishing I didn't end in some kind of juvenile jail. One of my excesses (heartily disapproved of by the neighbours) was to keep a white rat in a cage in the cellar. It must have lead a lonely life since my sense of responsibilty, never particularly evident, frequently caused me to forget the rat's existence. Yet you would never have known. Whenever I retrieved it from its cage it ran determinedly up my arm, sat on my shoulder and nuzzled the lobe of my ear. In moments of profound reflection (purely imaginary I'm sure) I can persuade myself I still feel the touch of those eager whiskers. I am not given to anthropomorphism but it was impossible not to associate this repeated event with what we humans call affection. Given this took place over seventy years ago I may well be accused of being mawkish. So be it.