23 August 2024

balancing

 

There were many things I wanted to do this week, outings, odd jobs around the house and garden, a spectacular walk down a deep ravine on the other side of the river but by Tuesday evening, after I finally got my fully repaired bicycle back (it was like greeting a long lost friend) it became apparent that reality doesn’t need me to help operate it. It gets along just fine without my input and as the almost forgotten but most familiar first waves of vertigo began to wash over me, I had to realise that life right now is not going to be my problem to be solved. And so to bed and much sleep and drowsy days struggling with balance.


 

The positive aspect, much appreciated, is that being retired, I don't have to crawl to a doctor to get a sick certificate which then has to be sent to the employer in order to get paid while recovering. 


 

By the end of day two, I was back sitting upright and reading wonderous stuff.


 

Like this:

    I was wondering about the pyramids in Egypt. Why are there three pyramids?  . . . And I didn’t know very much about it, but . . .  I made this thought experiment: I would bet that they were not built like one pyramid, and then 500 years later, another pyramid. I bet it was just one crazy period when they made these three pyramids, because it’s not possible to build one pyramid. If you’re going to build one pyramid and have 40,000 people build a pyramid for forty years, you don’t stop doing that. You don’t just say, “Thank you, you can go home now,” because if you are building a pyramid with 40,000 people, for forty years, that’s what your economy is about. It’s about building pyramids.

    You have, suddenly, generations, because people lived a shorter life then. So suddenly you have two or three generations that don’t remember anything other than working on this pyramid, and the whole supply chain of your country is about making the ropes, cutting the stones—the whole hierarchy of the society is about where you are in building the pyramid, from the chief architect, to the lowest slave, to the people supplying this structure. If you stop building a pyramid, you have chaos. If you just say, “Go home now.” You don’t tell people just to go home and do something, because they have been used to having an assigned job for forty years. They’ll ask, “What do I do now?” Naturally, they start building another pyramid, because that’s the only way to keep the society and the structure whole, and after eighty years, nobody even has the idea that there should not be another pyramid. It’s just a question of how much bigger the pyramid should be, so it’s not until they have built the third pyramid that some people start scratching their heads, like OK, so we’re going to build a fourth? A fifth? Can this go on like this?

    And they hear rumors from Greece where not everyone is a slave, just every other person is a slave. And they have these amphitheaters, and they watch tragedies, so they get this news about alternative ways of life. Then I looked into the archaeology research, and it was actually true. The pyramids, the Great Giza Pyramids, were built in a crazy span of 120 years, and I think that now, with the climate strikes, that we finally have a generation that is seriously questioning.

    They don’t want to build pyramids anymore, and they don’t see the sense of it, and they don’t understand, why am I toiling my whole life, dragging myself to some job, just to have this metal case around me that we call cars? Why are we putting all these resources into these roads, and highways, and these ramps, and all this? They’re questioning everything, the foundations of what we are doing and why we’re doing it, because they see the damage of it, so I think that this generation that is now climate striking will bring the change on a much faster level than we’ve seen before, that is, change in how we eat and how we dress. Their dreams will be different from the dreams that we had, because their dreams are against a real threat.

 Andri Snær Magnason



13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to that writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that fourth photo down plumeria? The flowers are gorgeous.
    I like that writing about the pyramids and it makes sense. I wonder when we'll be done with our pyramids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so hope that is true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting about climate change and pyramids. Never looked at it that way, but I think it's probably right. Hope you feel better and can do some of the things you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of rethinking to do, the future will not be possible with just a technical fix here and there, but you know that and tell us on your blog.

      Delete
  5. first, the flowers in your garden are lovely, that daylily and your plumeria. all mine are pink or white. I do have a start on a yellow but it will be years before it's big enough to bloom. and I've tried several times to get heavenly blue morning glories established with no success which is weird because people consider them invasive.

    the industrial revolution changed the trajectory of human life so dramatically, a headlong rush into so many new things people forgot the value of simplicity of life, not that people didn't struggle because of course they did, but aren't people struggling now anyway? I think maybe people are tiring and longing for that simplicity. if we can solve/survive the climate change we have caused perhaps we will come out of it with a different mindset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the few times I can detect some hint of hope in your views of the future for humans. It cheers me!

      Delete
  6. That's an interesting passage about the pyramid-builders (us!). I hope the writer is correct that humanity is slowly coming around to rethinking all its destructive insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just being around flowers is no doubt therapeutic. Good luck with your health issues that I am sure at times are daunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And birds, being around birds, they brought me to your blog which I have followed silently for some time now.

      Delete
  8. The flowers are gorgeous, and you always post such interesting excerpts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete