13 August 2024

solastalgia

 


Just after 10 am in the morning. All the shades are down, the house is cool and dark-ish, while outside it's getting hotter and hotter. I thought myself very clever and went for an hour's walk along the river in the early sunlit morning before breakfast and returned home with sweat dripping from my nose. It's the kind of heat when I would tie my hair up if it was long enough.


I am now sharing the room with one fly and an almost silently whirring stand-up fan. 

A week ago, while standing on a ladder picking ripe mirabelle plums, I was stung by at least one bee and maybe a couple of wasp simultaneously and all that within seconds. I get a lot of mileage out of that fact. I also had to go to the GP for the appropriate medical attention because my heart when out of rhythm for a good while and the left hand, where most of the action took place, was a swollen red balloon. We counted six stings in fingers and thumb, all of which are still in there and itching but I can use my hand again. So, yesterday, I picked a couple more mirabelle plums and humbly sacrificed the remaining lot to our insect rulers.

 

In reality, I have a hard time eating or rather, digesting fresh ripe fruit and this is sad, really sad, but needs must. The third expert opinion still outstanding, I have resigned to the shape of things and the limited diet options and decided to just get on with it.


 

We are in a debate about long distance travel and family visits and the CO2 emissions of twice 33 hrs flying across the planet and personal principles and the future of our grandchild and all other grandchildren in this world and responsibilities and excuses and what if not now and but the planes fly anyway and and. Currently, the man is getting deeper involved into scientist4future protests while I am trying to fool myself with a deal that involves looking at flight options and going completely vegan. Watch this space.

Solastalgia is a neologism, formed by the combination of the Latin words sōlācium (comfort) and the Greek root -algia (pain, suffering, grief), that describes a form of emotional or existential distress caused by environmental change. It is best described as the lived experience of negatively perceived environmental change. A distinction can be made between solastalgia linked to distress about what is in the process of negatively perceived change and eco-anxiety linked to what may happen in the future (associated with "pre-traumatic stress", in reference to post-traumatic stress).

found somewhere


 


 

 

 


10 comments:

  1. I imagine there will be fewer and fewer grandchildren. women choosing to be childless, dropping fertility, drastic environmental changes. perhaps all those science fiction writers were right and we will destroy the surface of the planet and have to burrow underground to survive. not a pleasant thought for the future.

    I've only been stung by one little beast at a time. the last time the little bastard left it's singer in me. it hurt for days until I finally got a knife and dug it out. your flowers are lovely. we have the same ones here but they are long done being high summer and all. standing in the shade for 15 minutes and I am dripping sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! You really did get the full artillery, didn't you? Obviously those stinging insects believe you planted that fruit for them. Just thinking about it makes my body feel as if it has been electrified. Does everyone do that?
    Hmmm...
    I am wondering if being agoraphobic is actually a good thing for the planet now. If so, I am doing my part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the "planes will fly anyway" camp. I also figure that having no car -- not to mention no kids of my own -- my carbon footprint is pretty darn small. That's how I justify flying. We have to live our lives within the constraints of the system we have, and if a train's not an option, an airplane it must be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope that you'll fly to see your beloveds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm torn about flying too.
    That was a lot of venom to get all at once, no wonder your heart was giving you a hard time. I can't imagine how painful it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scary encounter you had with our insect rulers, as you aptly term them. I’m glad your hand is getting back to normal. As for those long flights, yes, the planes still fly and your grandchild needs to see you as she grows. Your influence in her life is another kind of gift to the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s a granddaughter that you have, right? If not, apologies for misgendering but you get the point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only ever referred to a grandchild, in accordance with my daughter's wishes, I will not share anything further and no pictures. So, no misgendering here, no problem.

      Delete
  8. Yep, I'm experiencing solastalgia...wouldn't you know a Roman and a Greek got together to make up that word! But I keep writing about how climate change is something to teach our children in schools (today's post) and how eventually humans won't be as separate from nature and certainly not as dominant (yesterday's post in When I Was 69)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go. Please. There is nothing better than hugging a grandchild.

    ReplyDelete