08 September 2026

hello September

It rained and it got hot again and the river is a tiny bit fuller. One of the ferries that had to stop all of August due to the low water level is running again but only for pedestrians and bicycles. The sky is gorgeous. I have made an effort to get up really early and walk down to the river just after sunrise and on for a while, testing how far the foot will carry.

There are four more physiotherapy sessions left in the foot recovery treatment. I have been told that I have come a long way and I agree, I have also been told that one or two or four of the tendons responsible for whatever - lifting or holding or putting the foot down - have not recovered and also some nerves have stopped working for now. So I have to concentrate on muscles and give them hell to pick up the job. It's a task. I accept. I can walk. And on Sunday, I cycled 50 km along the vast apple orchards to the west and through forests and up onto hills. What I need is here.

Also, this happened one evening. I was cycling along the river just before sunset on a stretch where I was alone when I heard a female voice calling Hallo, Hallo and it turned out to be of a young woman who had slipped on one of the stony walkways down to the river which are accessible now with the water so low (it's very tempting to go there, walking on the river bed). Her left ankle looked exactly like my right one looked when I had slipped on the path in the forest in Wellington. She had no mobile phone with her, neither had I but I found a young man who sat on a bench a bit further down. Turned out he was Aladin, a Syrian refugee who works in the whole food store with the vegetables. We called emergencies and waited with her until the ambulance and the medics arrived. The medic mentioned to me that it looks like a fractured ankle. This is how I pay back fate it seems.

We are still arguing here in this house, a lot. And then we make up, also a lot. We have no idea where this will lead us. I am glad this summer is coming to an end.

This here is from my current read, the very dystopian novel "All the water in the world", by Eiren Caffall (2024), which is a bit like "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel (2014) - which BTW was made into an amazing TV series. 

This morning I met with a group of women over 65 to find a way to pool our energies and ideas into working for a liveable future for our and all grandchildren, grannies for future.

This evening, we are off to a rally in the city center, one of many across the country, to show the 55% in the small German state of Saxony-Anhalt who did not vote for the fascists last Sunday that we are on their side. 

Life is hard, life is full. 


 

 
 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. I heard about the AFD winning in Saxony-Anhalt, terrifying. I was also listening to "Ideas" on CBC and this episode was about the rise of Mussolini in Italy, also terrifying.

    I'm glad you were able to the help that young woman and you got to meet a young man named Aladin.

    I'm sorry your ankle is still giving you a hard time. Soft tissue takes forever to heal, well, not forever, but a year which feels like forever.

    It's good to know I'm not the only one arguing with their partner, although I don't really say much, just put my fuck off face on:) He also has a fuck off face. Right now I'm pushing him to see the dentist because he needs all of his teeth removed because he hasn't seen a dentist in over forty years and they are rotting out of his mouth. He's terrified of dentists. Too bad. This needs to be dealt with before he retires in nine months so I keep pushing.
    Sending hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have indeed made huge progress! Seen from a distance, it's truly amazing. And now you've helped someone else. You are a good person, Sabine.
    I always say that relationships are like the tides- sometimes in, sometimes out. It will rise again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You being there for that young woman is a perfect example of Jung's synchronicity. The universe balancing things out. Your ankle is healing, the last bit will take time. Global warming is making people prickly. maybe the cooler days ahead will smooth things our with R. The human population is undergoing a sea change. Perhaps the global civilization will crumble and send us back to a time of isolated populations and start the cycle over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Charlie Brown. Yes. The news continues to be sobering and you, with your healing ankle, were there to help that young woman. Charlie Brown reminds me that we are not alone.

    "Life is hard, life is full." Yes indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That page you posted feels so real. I watched Station Eleven, riveted. It was a mitzvah that you helped that woman. I hope she heals as you have and are continuing to do. Welcome September.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After we moved to Florida, my husband and I fought so much. It was because we had both retired and didn't know how to spend so much time together. Plus, we both were at the age where our blood pressure was running wild, and when we started taking blood pressure medicine, it took the edge off our arguments. I'm happy to hear you are healing so nicely. Not quickly it seems, but still nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're going to the rally. It's important to keep resisting! And I'm so glad you helped the woman with the broken ankle too. That must have been so scary for her -- and you too, in a way!

    ReplyDelete